1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealer got mad at me today.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I went to see my Stihl dealer today, my Stihl hedge trimmer was not running properly and I was tired of messing with it. So the mechanic who it also the manager came out to the truck and saw my Red Max eb7001 backpack blower and had a fit. He asked me what the hell was I thinking buying anything but a Stihl? I told him that it can blow a Stihl out of the water, I think that may be the end of my top notch service from them! He was really mad about this! It kind of ticked me off because I have bought almost all my small stuff from them and now he gets pissed over 1 blower!
  2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm.... not that I agree with him,(because he shouldn't have shown his anger) ... but in his defense... how would you feel if your BEST/Long lasting/loyal customer decided to have someone other then you cut his lawn one time? :angry:

Maybe our service/product guys expect the same loyalty that we expect from our customers...

just a thought...
  3. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Man,

Don't sweat it....

He will get over it. And if he don't just go out and get a Red max trimmer..... :)

He doesn't sound very professional. He sound like a BIG Baby :cry:
  4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Only one problem with this...........
    Stihl products are well built and dependable.......I know.
    BUT..........Their 420 backpack blower sucks in comparison to the competition.
    They dropped the ball in this one area.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I can understand him being upset...especially if you did not even speak with him about the stihl backpack blower before you purchased the redmax.

With that said...he's got no right to be 'mad' at you. I dunno where he thinks that is going to get him with your company. Personally, I would have just turned and said something along the lines of hey if Stihl made a backpack blower that met my needs I would purchase it..they don't (If you feel that's the case).
  6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a personal problem to me..I dealt with the same dealer for all my handheld and mowing equipment for 4 years. I switched to Wright Standers last summer, and got rid of all our Snapper mowing equipment. They still sell and service all my Shindaiwa equipment,and are more than happy to rent our large equipment to us(they are a rental center also).
  7. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

agreed... but somehow I don't think the dealer 'thought' of this when he saw the Redmax... instead he saw $$$ that he didn't get and was use to getting from the buyer over the years.

Right or wrong.... the dealer shouldn't have acted like a baby about it.
  8. Jozgators

Jozgators LawnSite Member

I agree with Greengrow if he can't take it he needs to find a new line of work. I had a similar situation but it turned out positive. Always bought from gravely dealer, in fact I was one of there first buyers. Well needed a new ZTR was looking at Gravely 260 with 28EFI. I was quoted a little above 10grand. Hustler Super Z 28EFI 7900. Bought the hustler not only because of price, just liked the mower better. I still go the gravely dealership and they treat me with the same amount of respect as before. There should be some loyalty but this is a business.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm all for loyalty, and it helps you out down the road when you're in a bind...BUT...the big difference is, as an LCO we (usually) have contracts/service agreements with our customers. No such agreement with our dealers. I'll sign a service agreement with my dealer if he guarantees next day turnaround on repairs, and promises to call me when something is ready (instead of my calling him, to hear "Oh yeah, that part came in a couple days ago...come on by)

There was also that time he sold "my" new Exmark to a larger company that needed 6 of them right away. I can understand that was a business decision on his part, but don't expect me to buy every single thing from him then.
  10. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

I'm partial towards Stihl products myself, but when I find a piece of equipment that outperforms what I currently use, I'll grab it. Dealer loyality isn't even a second thought. If he can't get 'em, I'll find somebody who can. Remember, we're the ones using them on a daily basis.