Dealer Is Unbelievable At Selling Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Jun 12, 2009.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I was talking with my dealer on his cell phone and he sounded like he was totally worn out. He was coming back from delivering a Hustler Super S he sold late this afternoon.

I could not comprehend the numbers he was running past me. This week he has sold 76 mowers, in the last 2 weeks he has sold 53 Bobcats alone. He is buying dealers stock left and right that are going out of business and giving people good deals.

He has a brand new in the crate, 60" Super Z, with a 25 hp Shibaura diesel he told me he would sell for $9299.00 if someone told him Reid Phifer said you would sell me this mower for that price.

The Bobcat factory called him this week and told him he was their largest dealer in the entire US. They said if he sold (I believe he told me 13) more Bobcats before the end of June, he would sell the most Bobcat mowers of any dealer in that time frame since Bobcat mowers had been in existence.

I don't know the exact number, but I would say he has probably sold somewhere in the 1000 mower range this year. He said it had been totally crazy with him buying inventory of dealers going out of business and moving the inventory so fast. He had projected himself to sell 1500 + mowers this year but he thought he would surpass that with ease.

When a dealer sells that number of mowers (several lines), he is well though of by his customers. People are coming from all directions to buy from him. One gentleman came from 75 miles away this week to buy a Super Z, and told him he save $1000.00 over any other dealer around that he had checked with.

I like to see someone treat people the way they like to be treated, and this dealer by far surpasses this definition. It is truly unbelievable what this one person accomplishes, you can easily understand why Exmark and Scag would give anything to have him selling their mowers and this was told by their rep.

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Not the kind of dealer i would like to do business with. How can he service all those machines? How could he possibly give good customer support. He is all about the numbers. I dont blame him a bit though. You have to choose a path and he chose numbers over service. Is it really that suprising that he is selling alot of mowers when he is so much cheaper? Its not the service. So he caries bad boy, bobcat, and?

3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

What dealer is it?

4. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

i second that. maybe when i go to buy another mower ill call him up!

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

He has always been good at sales (puppypaws and I go back a bit). What do you think his secret is? We have a large dealer near here that sells Exmark, Dixie, Cub, Stihl, etc.etc. but service is horrible. It takes two hours to get through on the phone (lady told me that's all she did all day and I was her 100+ call before mid day). There is always a line at the parts counter and the guys behind the counter have an attitude and never get in a hurry. He sells a lot but 2 months for service is one reason Exmark isn't as appealing (nothing against Exmark, just the dealer). I have called Exmark to get him to try to live up to their pledge of service but 4-8 weeks is a normal repair wait.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I wouldn't want to do business with him ... that's why I don't own Scag because the local dealer takes so long to get anything done !!

4-8 weeks ... try anywhere from 6-12 weeks !!

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Now, I want you to stop and think about what you just said, "he could not possibly give good customer support." He gives excellent customer support, by far the best I have ever seen. Why do you think he sells the number of mowers he does, to the same commercial accounts year end and year out. Do you think people would be coming from all directions to buy mowers from him if he could not provide support and have incomparable customer relations.

He has a tremendous number of large commercial accounts, now do you really think they would keep coming back if he did not provide excellent support. Saving 3 or 4 hundred dollars on a mower does not keep these type people as customers year after year, they must have someone they can depend on at all times.

He is able to sell cheaper because he is such a dominate dealer, and is causing other dealers to shut the doors, enabling him to buy their inventory at a big discount and passing the savings on to his customers.

The reason he is able to do this is because he is more financially stable than other dealers in the area. In other words he has made a great deal of money, enabling him to buy the inventory from mower companies he is putting out of business.

This is a dealer you can depend on more than you could your personal family, he is just that type person.

This is not a box store, he has 6 mechanics and 3 people on the parts counter with one person doing nothing but delivering and picking up mowers.

He sells Bobcat, Hustler, Bad Boy, Gravely, Cub Cadet, Yazoo Kees, Great Dane, EverRide, Kioti, Encore, Yard Shark, and Dixon mower lines.

He sells Stihl, Red Max, Shindawa, Kawasaki, Husky, Dolmar, Cub Cadet and Weed Eater brand hand held equipment. He has over 60 total lines of equipment he sells.

You would be fortunate in your lifetime to ever do business with a dealer of this caliber. I can promise if this dealer was in your area he would be pulling business away from the surrounding dealers to the point of putting them out of business and buying their inventory. The same as he is doing around the Charlotte, NC area, believe me he is not the type dealer most people have ever seen.

I would like to know how many dealers in the US sold 76 mowers out of one store this week, maybe none.

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

my dealer knows me by voice. Fixes my equipment for free and is a hell of a nice guy. So if your numbers guy came to town he wouldnt get my business period. A numbers guy can NO WAY match service with a good dealer.

9. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

They can as long as they have enough GOOD technicians to back him up.

10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I would imagine there will be quite a few low hour Hustlers and Bobcats on craigslist in the Marshville area this fall. Sure, some are for current LCOs but I would guess the unemployment numbers have something to do with this thread. :waving: