1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealer is ********?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EagleLandscape, Oct 29, 2007.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I dropped off a exmark 48 ztr last week for a busted hydro belt. Other than that, everything was running perfectly.

Called in today to check and see if it was ready, the mechanic tells me he fixed the belt, also replaced a dead battery (wasnt dead when we fired it up at the shop on Friday) and says the starter is making a horrible knocking noise. (also wasnt there on friday)

If the key is left on, does that drain the battery, and can that affect the starter? im going to pay them a visit in the morning. thanks.
  2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

the key on will drain but will not touch the starter they should have just charged it up for free.
    I would have never sent a mower back for a belt I would have done that myself
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree ^^^^^^^^^^

Now, It could be the guy had this unit all jacked up (without the fuel cut off) installing the belt and flooded the pizz out of the engine then when finished kept cranking on it until the starter got too hot and ran the battery down.

Maybe you should find another shop !
  4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

If you only authorized the belt...pay for the belt and go.
  5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well, I didn't know it was the belt until we got there. I thought a hydro pump seized or a pulley seized. It wasn't until I rolled it off the trailer at the shop that a piece of a belt fell to the ground.
  6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Any time my mowers are in for repair and they find something else wrong the shop will call and inform me of other issues b4 the work is done. If they did not do that then they did unauthorized repairs and your not responsible for cost.
  7. outdoorpower

outdoorpower LawnSite Member

ask the shop to loadtest the battery with a loadtester in front of you, and it will tell you if the battery is bad and has a dead cell or if the key was left on and it drained the battery. if you know how many hours where on your machine when u left it you can look at the hour meter, the only thing hot with he key left on is the hour meter, fuel solenoid, and possibly ignition components depeding on engine application. if the hour meter has an additional 8-12 hours, theres your sign!
  8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

my exmarks hour meters are dead when the key is on with motor off they are actively counting time only when motors are running