Dealer loyalty vs. best product?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Dec 19, 2006.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Lets say you have a dealer thats been good to you...tries to get your stuff out quick if he knows youre in a jam...doesnt really give a price break, but is an overall good person to do biz with..

Now lets say you want to try a certain brand of blower/trimmer...lets say Stihl. But the dealer doesnt carry that line...

Do you buy what you really want elsewhere or do you buy whatever he sells?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Buy what you want. I used Redmax until I had continuing problems. This year I switched to Stihl & switched to a new dealer. The new dealer is actually closer to me & works on my stuff as soon as he sees me walk in the door. He also lets me help him out so I learn a little bit along the way. That has been my favorite thing about the new dealer. Dad wasn't very handy so I have learned what I can as I go.

3. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

What was wrong with your redmax stuff?

4. hue-nut

hue-nut LawnSite Member

I will buy the brand that is going to best meet my needs. A great dealer is nice but you are in business just like he is...to make money. I guess if I feel that I've got to go with the product that is going to make me money. Don't get me wrong, a good dealer will definately influence my decision but it is not my only consideration. The best dealer in the world cannot compensate for a poor quality product. Perfect example: I am looking at Tru Cut and Cal Trimmer reel mowers. The dealer that sells Cal Trimmer is amazing(Carl's Mower and Saw), This is a big part of my decision, but it is far from my only consideration. He is definately the kinda guy that you want to give business to.

5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Imo, having a great relationship with a dealer is like having an extra employee. I'd find out why he doesn't carry brand X. Could be he knows something that might change your mind. But then again, I know of no dealer that carries all the brands.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's one of those things you just have to weigh out.

I've never had an outright nothing but fantastic hometown dealer to deal with.
    So I've never been faced with the issue, and my decision is easy.

I buy what I want from where I want for the mostpart these days....
    Provided what I want has an ample 'network' in the area.
    In other words I have more than one source of parts locally, ect...

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchase what I need.

That's why I have about 2 suppliers for everything. 2 for rock, 2 for saws, etc..

Like with saws, I use Stihl, Husky and Echo.

8. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I think alot here that buy Dixie Choppers are in the pinch you are, our dealer sells Dixie Chopper and Shindaiwa. I see alot of guys with a Dixie Chopper/Stihl combo, and I will never perchase another Shinda product again, despite that I like the Shinda/Dixie dealer.

Its just one of those things that you have to weigh out, although I think that the dealer should understand if his equipment isn't working out for you.

9. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

If your dealer doesn't carry what your looking for then go to someone who does I have 3 different dealers i buy from and all give me the same service

10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

99% chance your dealer treats every other customer the same way dont think u are on special treatment and have to stay loyal to him.. Buy what will help you do business better