Dealer Loyalty

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgoalie23, Feb 2, 2005.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a Lazer Z XS. The dealer that i use currently has outstanding service. But he wants 10,200 plus tax for the mower. I called up another guy same distance and he will give it to me for 9,600 plus tax. Should i buy it from the other guy, or suck it up and stick with the dealer i have bought my other two machines from.

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you like your customers to pick and choose who provides each service the cheapest? Doubt it. That great service from your current dealer comes at a price.

3. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

ya see thats y we need the exmark site back ,terry could answer that question well do you know anything about the other dealers service ? maybe his service is just as good

4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

do you like to throw your hard earned money away?i would give your reg guy the opportunity to match the price and if not,its not a five dollar bill.six hundred dollars is a good piece of change.

5. onemilmhz

onemilmhz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Exactly. If your current dealer is as stand up as you say he'll try to come close to the price. If not, find out about the other guys service. $600 bucks is alot of money. If it were a hundred or so I would say stick with your guy.

6. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

I would get the 9,600 quote in writing. Take it to your current dealer who has it at 10,200 and ask him if there is a 'good reason' you should spend the extra 600 with him. Dealer loyalty does have it's privileges--but for $600 more? And they are the same distance apart? He'd better be a good good'un !

7. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

There are different levels of dealers. Not all dealers get the same discount on machines, it varies greatly on how much they can actually afford to book at one time.

Go ahead and try out the other dealer.. I'm sure his service is just as good.. but if you need immediate help on a day when he's closed, and your first guy is open... think about that $600 you saved and wait until the other guy is open.

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

$600 in the whole scheme of things isn't going to make or break your company and if it does, you're a poor businessman. I would much rather give my local dealer the business and not make him unhappy so that he's there when I need him. I'm not going to say that you shouldn't try to bargain for the price, but if he doesn't come down in price at all, just take a little bit of a hit and keep on rolling.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I won't shop prices any more on my equipment. Service is everything I had 2 major problems last year Dave at Frenette's came though each time instantly finding what another dealer whom shall remain nameless should have found. It did not even bother him that we did not buy the mower from him he still gave me a demo to keep me from falling behind. And not some worn out mower either but a Lazer Z 27 hp 60" with fewer then 100 hours and he let me keep it for 2 weeks no charge then he warranted the work though exmark so that was no charge either. Only thing I had to pay for was the chain the other idiot dealer cut a link out of to take a short cut when trying to level the deck. I had a bent hanger arm a defect which I never would of spotted Dave figured it out in under 5 mins. I do not care what he charges all my mowers have since come from him and will continue too as I am adding a 52" lazer Z and a 36" hydro next month. And you ought to see the dealer awards he has on that wall both exmark and scag. I talked with the exmark rep at another dealers open house and he was telling me how good the dealer was then he asked were I lived and who I used when I told him his whole attitude and voice changed like he had been wasting his time and knew it. He pulls me away from the crowd and goes well he’s the best in the state I wouldn't change a thing if I were you. I don't intend too.

10. CleanCutMaint

CleanCutMaint LawnSite Member

If the other dealer is the same distance away then they are both your "local" dealers. Great service is a hard thing to find and I would probably try out the other dealers sevice if I could. Why not use both of your local dealers, it makes more sense to have a good working relationship with both of them to keep your options open. $600 is a lot of money. I understand good service and loyalty come at a price but if you have been loyal to him then he needs to be loyal to you. If the other dealer can beat his price by $600 then I would check his prices out on other equipment. It's $600 bucks now but over the years it could be thousands of dollars. I think it's time to give the other dealer a chance to earn your business. Just my .02