1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealer or equipment 1st?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keeper_of_the_Links, Feb 17, 2010.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I'd choose a good dealer. A good dealer will save you money in the long run. Even if they are priced a little higher in the first place, it will pay off during the time you own the mower.
  2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know ZTRs type of real expensive stuff. For small equipments, I go for the price more than anything else. I had serious issue with my dealer. If you have a very good dealer THAT actually honor warranty, it's worth staying with them. But if they have a pattern of giving you lame excuses and not cover the warranty, go for the big box or online for better price. For small equipments, I would say buy the same model or models with same engines so you can keep old ones for parts. Hack it is not that hard to fix!!! Just keep a spare carb, a coil, plugs, filters etc. You can pretty much swarp and fix the problem.

Brand loyalty??!! That is up to you, everyone have their favorite brand and people get really really emmotion here!!!:laugh:. At the end of the day, you hear people having good things to say about each brand AND as many as people cursing that same brand!!!
  3. blakerugg

blakerugg LawnSite Senior Member

a good dealer that you can trust is the most important, if you can stay brand loyal and find a one stop dealer then thats great
  4. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Deals seem to be far away, but I don't mind paying a couple hundred more if you like the dealer. But like said above, 2k lower and Im driving. Everyone seems to be giving incentives such as freebees to buy stuff at retail. My Stihl dealer gives away a bunch of little stuff with trimmer and blower purchases.
  5. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

personally i'll go with brand loyalty first. but thats because i can because the dealers for the brand i want are close by. if i had to truck over an hour to get my equipment brand worked on vs. a different brand a dealer 5 min. away carries i'd choose the dealer.
  6. jmullins6987

jmullins6987 LawnSite Member

In times like to today my customers are only about price. Its said to say but now a days the lowest price prevails!
  7. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

that's the story everywhere.My lawn customers are a lot better than the tree customers.it amazes me how someone cares more about $100 than they do about how qualified the guys taking down the 100 foot tree over their house.

mind boggling.
  8. scotlykins

scotlykins LawnSite Member

We do the majority of our work, (outside of warranty). We mainly use our dealers for parts. I will always ask for a quote from different dealers and will try and buy local if they are within a hundred dollars or so.