Dealer or online for your parts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Aug 8, 2005.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been buying most my parts like blades, filters, tires & tubes, ect, ect online and been saving 60% to 80% and they are delivered in 2 to 3 days. How many of U buy from your dealer and how many buy online suppliers?

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Lately I have been buying more online. We have on local guy, and he's a crook. He is charging 2-3x for blades vs. what the dealer 15 miles away is. But you have to go through the "never ending road construction project" if you go to that dealer though. I don't have 2+ hours and 6 gallons of gas to waste getting there. So you have a choice as far as local goes, overpay (greatly) at one dealer or waste a bunch of time going to another. So I have been doing mostly mail order for a few years now.

As far as the money saved, it isn't huge. The one dealer I spoke of is typically cheaper on blades, and not much higher on most other things. It is simply a matter of convenience rather than price.

3. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer is excellent, the stock over $1 million in parts. I dont mind spending the extra buck to give them the business. Most parts are priced evenly but even if they arent I pay it.

4. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

60-80%, WOW, who are you ordering from???

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I would also like to know where you are ordering online that you are saving 60-80%.
    If those numbers are truly accurate then I believe the dealer has seen the last of me.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I use my dealer solely...he deserves to make a living too.

7. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer. He treats me right and goes out of his way to keep stuff running. It's the least I can do.

8. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

Rodfather and the mayor understand the concept. The dealers are there to give quality service to us, like most LCO's. Then we have these type of people that shop around for PRICE and dont care. Its almost exactly like our business and we know who the PITAs are...trying to save a couple bucks

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I couldn't have said it better.