1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealer or owner's manual?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by machsixer, Aug 28, 2006.

1. machsixer

machsixer LawnSite Member

I'm wondering if I should follow the dealer's advice on oil/filter change intervals or go by the owner's manual for same. I have a commercial Husqvarna iz5223 52 inch, 23hp Kawasaki unit.
    I've heard to go by the owner's manual because the dealer is only looking to make more $$ on parts/oil.
    This mower is used in a commercial operation.

Any advice?
  2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

You failed to state the difference between the two. I generally make a point to reduce the interval for oil & filter changes. Oil is a lot cheaper than a repair job or a new engine. The dirtier/dustier the conditions the more frequent I change my oil and filter.
  3. machsixer

machsixer LawnSite Member

The dealer says change the oil/filter every 25hrs.
    The actual Kawasaki engine and Husqvarna owner's manual says change the oil every 100 hours and the oil filter every 200 hours which is obviously a big difference compared with the dealer. Which do I go with? I'm leaning towards the dealer since oil is relatively cheap compared with engine problems or reduced overall engine life.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I work for a Dealership/ Rental Store and all our equipment is serviced (oil changed and filter) every 50 hrs. And thats what I recommend to customers purchasing new equipment.