Dealer price Part 2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J & J Mowing, Mar 7, 2003.

1. J & J Mowing

J & J Mowing LawnSite Member
    from KS

Do you guys walk in and pay sticker price on new,
    or do you make a counter like you would on a new truck.
    Should I pay sticker ?
    As you can tell I am a first time new buyer.
    Thanks for any help.

:blob3:

2. matitude

matitude LawnSite Member

Never pay sticker get prices from different dealers in your area and compare some deviation is always common. Play the game just like you would for a car the worst they can do is say no.

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Hmmm, tough call. Some dealers, once you have done some business with them will cut you some slack on prices. Others will not :( I believe it to be good business to knock something off for repeat customers. In other circumstances dealers will discount a little on a big purchase when they know you are serious about buying. If they think you are price shopping, some will just quote you MSRP.

My policy is to judge each individual case. I have a dealer that doesn't really have any of the new products I buy, but I try to buy replacement parts from him if he can get them. He knocks off 10% on stuff for me. I have also turned down great deals on new mowers, just because I didn't quite feel comfortable buying from a particular place and went elsewhere and paid a little more...but not sticker :D A good dealer is worth a little more, and a good customer to that dealer is worth a little more. Somewhere you will find a happy medium. You will know when you find it :)

Something I just ran across yesterday. We are in the market for a new Lazer Z. I turned down the lowest price because I wasn't quite sure the dealer would stick with Exmark. He seemed to be a little unhappy with the distributor. Another dealer had a leftover 02 for a really good price, because it was there. But when I asked about an 2003 model she quoted me MSRP. It is important to be able to read people. I knew she would give me a better price, but I could see it was important for her to see that I was serious. She called me back this morning and gave me a price $800 less than she did yesterday. :)

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You don't want to offend anyone but you will never get what you don't ask for. What does it hurt to try and haggle the price down within reason?

Gravely_Man

5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I rarely every buy anything in life for sticker price....everywhere I go I get discounts. I get all mowers and equipment at cost but thats besides the point. You can make deals with the owners never pay sticker even if you say I can get it cheaper with the next guy and the owner says then go to him......do just that.

6. J & J Mowing

J & J Mowing LawnSite Member
    from KS

Matitude,Keith, Gravely-Man,
    THANK YOU
    I was hoping after 61 views for more help
    As you can tell spending 6300. on a new mower
    is something I have never done befor.

:blob3:

7. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

I usually ask for some discount, but usually lean more towards additional parts and service as a bargaining point. Such as OK, I will pay the $6300 but, I want a spare set of blades and the 100 hour tune up, oil change and complete service thrown in the deal at that price.

I would hope that your dealer is cutting you a fairly reasonable price from the start, and he usually has a little room to play in the "service" area.

I also check other areas of the country to "logic check" the price I am getting. I do not remember where you were from, but I call down to Florida and check a couple of dealers prices and you will see true value pretty quick. I usually pay $500 to $1000 over that price up here from a local dealer.

My 2 cents. It is a little scary at first, but if you say $7000 real, real fast, it just does not seem so bad!

Al B

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

never pay full price!! As someone had stated "you don't get what you want unless you ask for it". We deal with one dealer exclusively. he has given me things at cost before. Continual business with one person, I don't need to shop around. Having a good relationship with a dealer means alot in the long run. :cool:

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

J & J, what mower are you buying?

Edit: I see in another post it was a Lazer HP 48 with a 20 Kohler? I believe the MSRP on that mower was about $6800 last year, so it probably has gone up a 100 bucks or so this year.

10. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

The better relationship you get with your dealer the more equipment you buy and a good adittude with your dealer will all bundle in to factor what your price will be....the more equipment you buy he will realize that when the stuff needs work or breaks down...its comming to him and he will make his money on the repairs not the sale.