Dealer problem?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Apr 25, 2009.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We have been using this dealer for years, their service has never been great, but lately it has been really bad.

The latest problem: We brought a trimmer in to be repaired, it sat their for about two weeks before someone looked at it. They seen it needed a part they would need to order, that took another week or so.

We pick it up and it runs worse than it did when we dropped it off, the bill was about $125. we brought it back 3 times, for a total of 4 trips to this shop for the same trimmer.

We brought it to a different dealer, he had it about 2-3 hours, his bill was about $35, and it ran great.

I called the dealer and told him what had happened, and about other problems we have had in the past. He said he knew he had a problem, but he had hired a new mechanic, and that he would take care of the bill.

We e-mailed them and asked what they planned to do about the bill. They e-mailed back today and said they would not charge us for the labor of about $40. I replied, that I would need to pay $85 for a for something I had to bring to them 4 times, and then bring it to another dealer and pay them.

They e-mailed back, that we could remove all the parts that they had put on this trimmer, and bring them in and they would credit us for them. Also, they added that they only charged us for the 1st time we brought it in, not the other 3, and that they had ran the trimmer before I picked it up.

Btw, I don't plan to use this dealer ever again!!!!!

Sorry this is so long, but what would you do.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, real simple, this part hurts a little but chalk up the $85 to experience
    and start taking your stuff to the $35 guy, there you go, problem solved.

At least that's what I would do.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  3. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Learn to fix them yourself and save time and money. I buy somewhat cheap trimmers, 200 dollar Kawasakis, and for that price I would run one till it quit, then buy another and keep the old one for spare parts.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would let it go and deal with the place that fixed it in the future. What was the problem with it?
  5. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I will pay the bill, and try to let it go.

I just can't believe the nerve of these folks. We have been a loyal customer for years, but not anymore.

The sad part is they sell good equipment, but their service stinks, oh well.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

stay with the $35 dealer
  7. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Likely the problem is the owner won't pay a decent mechanic. So he gets what he pays for. Happens all the time in this business. There is one dealer in town that has a decent service dept out of about a dozen or so dealers. We service our own equipment but if we had to take anything someplace it would be there even though they stay backed up.

Every other dealer in town has crap for a service dept, few stock many parts anyway.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh I know, it burns for a bit of a while.

But I look at it this way, education is very expensive.
    Have you ever seen the cost of a college tuition?
    Yes, education is very, very expensive.

So, I consider that $85 the payment for a lesson learned.
    Now it's "chalked up"

I tell you I learn super fast, I should have my degree in no time 't all.
  9. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Over 13,000 posts, do you have a life?
  10. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, that's a great way to make friends with one of the most experienced, smartest guys on here.