Dealer pushes Stihl too much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Apr 21, 2009.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I am looking for a new trimmer and when I have bought in the past, I asked about other brands of trimmer that my dealer also sells, and they always seem to push stihl over anything else. I was interested in a Kawasaki trimmer and this dealer sells them but he kept saying nobody buys those and we dont even have any in stock and we would have to order it, but over here we have plenty of these stihls! I know stihl makes them push them this hard but they really should do better when asked about other brands. I bought a couple FS80s over the years and every one of them when used for just a short time would get very hot on top of the plastic engine guards, they told me this was normal, that was news to me!

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

If you want a different product, make him order it and if he says they can't get them for awhile, tell him you'll start shopping elsewhere if he can't satisfy your needs.

3. blake2727

blake2727 LawnSite Member
    from MS

My dealer used to be a scag and stihl dealer. He switched over to grasshopper and shindaiwa and said he is much happier now because he likes the products he is selling. (Not knocking scag just talking about trimmers). He said that he liked the shindaiwa product and he would not sell them and stihl because of exactly what your talking about with the conflict of iterest. I'm not saying stihl is a bad product I just think it is hard for a dealer to sell more than one commercial brand without leaning toward one or the other. It sounds like your dealer should drop the other brands and just sell stihl.

4. VirginiaLawnCare

VirginiaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I would push stihl to if i was a dealer its some of the best stuff out there. But like what was said tell him you will shop elsewhere and he will give you what you want.

5. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Most dealers here carry more than one brand of handhelds and more than one brand of ZTRs, some carry 3-4 brands and one carries 5 brands of handhelds and 5 brands of ZTRs and 4 brands of WBs....

He'll sell you anything you want, but he too prefers the Stihl handhelds and when I asked him why several years ago he said "customer satisfaction, I make the same margins on all of them, it doesn't effect my bottom line one way or the other but we get far fewer complaints about Stihl than any other product we sell."

We've switch from mostly Echo products to Stihl over the past few years only because once I bought a few of the Stihls I tend to agree with him. Echo (and the others) are good products and we never really had any complaints with them but the Stihls are engineered a little better, built a little stronger and the new 4-mix engines have been a huge improvement in many ways.... quieter, easier to start, much better fuel economy and we seem to be getting longer life out of them.

However as with everything else it's still a personal preference thing. All of them (commercial handhelds) are good as are the ZTRs. Hard to knock any of them as a brand.

6. blake2727

blake2727 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I dont see anything wrong with selling more than one brand but if his dealer is only going to push the stihl then there is no point in him having the others. When you go into most dealers who sell different brands and tell them what your looking for they will tell you, well I have this in this brand and this in this other brand that will both suit your needs, they have this warrantee blah blah now you choose. No point in having it if they dont try to sell it

7. HulkXD

HulkXD LawnSite Member

I know around here Stihl only allows one retailer to sell thier product within a certain mile radius, so the one's that can sell them try to sell the CRAP out of them.

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Not according to my dealer. My dealer sells both Stihl and Echo and refers Echo over Stihl every time, they say they have a lot less trouble with their Echo products and the Stihls are in for repairs alot more than any other brand they sell.

9. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont even know why my dealer sells Echo and Kawasaki, they keep one or two out and they are back in a out of the way corner with dust on them! but they have a huge stihl section with a huge stihl sign hanging above and about 5 of each model! I did have a FS90 and I didnt like the 4mix and I do not like the stihl spools,too hard to get that top piece off with just your fingers! I may try a FS80 again if its a 2 stroke,but I would rather go with Kawasaki or Redmax.

10. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer sells KAW ECHO and husky. SO needless to say i hate echo i wouldnt run one for a day if u offerd me a million dollars now maybe 10 mill and will talk. so he wont even walk me past the echo stuff but he keeps the kaw stuff on a small rack, he dosent push it too hard run one though and ull never buy another brand.