Dealer said not wash mower - true?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger Fisher, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Roger Fisher

Roger Fisher LawnSite Member

I just bought a new Scag Turf Tiger mower. One of the things that the dealer told me was not to wash it. He said to just blow it off with a blower or air hose. He said that water will rust the bearings and it is best never to wash it. I have never heard of this. I got the impression that it wasn't just for Scag but is meant for all mowers. We live in a very dusty environment and I have always washed the mower after mowing. Has anyone heard of this? Comments?

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I wash mine. Always did. Never had a problem. What happens when you get stuck in a storm and it down pours on your equipment? Tarp it?

I say wash.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I was told a while back not to wash under the foot rest or deck cover where all the pullies and belts are. I was mine every once in awhile. But I always blow it out with a blow gun. But as far as washing the rest of the unit...what if it rains? To me thats the same thing.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I washed every other week or so....never any problems. I always greased after I washed though. and I peridoically hit with with simple green and a pressure washer as well....
  5. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I understand the not washing part because people take them to car washes and use high pressure water. When they get the wand close enough, the high pressure can force water past the seals and into the bearings. For those who have non-greasable bearings, that can be detrimental. Most greases have kind of a soap base so over time, it will mix with water. Next time you have your grease gun try this and you will see what I mean. Take a little grease, put in your hand, pour water over that and rub it around and watch it turn white, you will see what I mean. If it doesn't, then you have a good grease. Now, imagine what will happen to your bearings when this happens. Rain of course wont or shouldn't get into bearings as it is just falling from the sky. You can wash, but just be careful.
  6. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Ask this in the mechanic and repair forum. Youll get different answers. Mechanics see the results. Premature bearing failure, rust on shafts etc causing extremely hard disassembly.Now sometimes you have to clean up a muddy one . Keep it to a minimum and you machine and mechanic will thank you.
  7. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

High pressure wash is definetly no good around bearings. Low pressure, maybe after the machine is cool, just try to avoid the spindles and idlers. Water can be drawn past the seal as the bearing cools. With the very light load that is actually carried by the idler bearings, and spindle bearings, technically, they should last forever. We all know they don't. Contamination is the #1 killer of bearings on your machine.

8. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

Agreed. Muddy mower/ hose it off. After all one wants to look professional. A light/easy spray of water isnt gonna hurt anything. Its the forced stream into bearings thats not good. A good round of grease is always required to force any water out of bearings and a quick run of the pto to shake and water off the pullies and help dry the deck.
  9. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

My 95 Walker with 3000 plus hours has never been washed, and is running like brand new, so, maybe something to that. It never gets muddy because I just dont mow if it is that wet (or seldom), and I guess I just dont have any muddy yards.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

dont wash, Just take a blower to it.