1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealer says Exmark over Grasshopper.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bluegrass1, May 2, 2007.

1. Bluegrass1

Bluegrass1 LawnSite Member

As I stated in this forum a few days ago I had pretty much decided on a grasshopper 700 series mower (61") and needed advice on engine choice. I felt that an outfront mower would be a better choice for my conditions as I have 4-plank horse fencing and about 100 white pine trees to mow under. However, when I went to my nearest dealer (Exmark, Ferris, JD, Kubota, Grasshopper) he said most of the horse farms in the area (and there are a lot of them) use midmounts. He said that hearing about my 5-6 acres, he would still go with the Lazer Z due to his positive experiences with the crews that mow the farms. I have no reason to distrust the salesperson but I wonder if the farm crews are buying the midmounts because they are a little cheaper - I know I would if I had to buy several. So, I thought I'd ask at Lawnsite. If you could use any 60" - 72" mower you wanted to mow 5 acres with plank fencing and many white pines and were only going to use it on this one home, what would you use? The ground is pretty flat, not what I would call rough, the grass is thick but not high quality turf.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The front deck will mow under fencing, the midmount will not. A front deck machine, will always give a better cut than a midmount machine, as the deck is more stable. A front deck machine will always ride smoother than a midmount.The midmounts sell for about $1500 less than a similar front deck model. Price is most likely why they buy more midmounts.
  3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

At that dealer, either of the front-mount mowers from Kubota OR Grasshopper w/diesel engines would be a fine choice. :usflag:
  4. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to me like:

1. He does not have a Grasshopper 700 series on the lot.
    2. His profit margin is higher for the Exmark.

Stick to your guns and don't let the salesman pick the mower for you. I used to sell cars in a former life. One thing which I was told, and which the other salesmen actually believed, was that the customer has no idea what they want; and it's the salesman job to determine that for them. Never did subscribe to that BS.
  5. baker 6

baker 6 LawnSite Member

go with the exmark 72"
  6. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

baker 6 where are you at in OK? you wouldnt happen to be in enid would you
  7. mowerkid01

mowerkid01 LawnSite Member

Any type of Exmark mower would be the right choice for you now!
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

For what you have to get under, i would go with a Out front mower. Will you need any attachments for this mower in the future?? if so go with the Grasshopper. If there are no attachments needed look at the Front runner from exmark.

Stay with the out front type for the reasons mentioned on here.
  9. baker 6

baker 6 LawnSite Member

ne corner of state.
  10. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

O ok there is a guy with the last name baker that just started around here so i just thought u might have been him welcome to the site