Dealer stocking Scag Parts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trashr, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Trashr

Trashr LawnSite Member

Has anbody else had problems finding Scag dealers that stock parts. Here's the story:

This past week my Turf tiger blows a hydro pump, the maching is a 2001 with a thousand hours. I call dealer #1 they don't stock it, will have it the next day. Ok, get the pump the next day install with new wheel motor I purchased from them the day before. Fluid/Filter change jack up the rear wheels open by pass and purge the system for 1 hr. Pump still makes hard chattering. test drive the maching and fluid blows out through the gasket. It is now 10 oclock at night and need the machine working yesterday. Go to dealer next day, Of course they have to order pump because" they don't stock pumps for machings that old" What? it is a 2001 with 1000hrs. Did I mention is has been through 3 clutches. An no, the maching was run by Dad who was very meticulous about maintenance. I tell dealer #1 to order pump and I will call them if I find a dealer local with the pump. Why do they want me to call them to let them know if I found the pump? because they don't want to stock this pump it is to "expensive. I called Dealer #2 they lauphed at me said the same thing pump is to expensive to stock. Dealer # 3 within 15 miles has pump in stock. I pick up pump and have installed within 1hr. Bottom line is if Scag dealers won't stock parts, I think this will be by last Scag. I am running exmark' and lesco's also and have no problem getting parts from the dealers. We are a seasonal business, The grass doesn't stop growing when the mower brakes down. I would think dealers would realized this and keep inventory. Like to know if anybody else has had difficulty getting parts for Scags,Exmarks,Lescos, Ect.

2. Landscaper Supply

Landscaper Supply LawnSite Member

yes that is why we buy on line now. Dealers wont stock parts

3. Trashr

Trashr LawnSite Member

We purchase alot of parts,equipment online also. my point is when you need a part the same day and are willing to pay retail from dealer, the parts are not stocked. I paid $532 for the Hydro pump including tax. I could have purchsase on line for $399 paid no tax and 5.95 shipping. It's obvious where the better deal is. However down time is expensive for me I have 175 residential not including commerical and community ball field and parks. I would rather pay the $130 instead of having down time suffer income loss and alot of unhappy clients.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Where was the place that had it for $399 ?

Thing lawn guys will never get (or dont' care about) is that the longer a part sits on the shelf, the more it costs. Visit the store of some of these places you are ordering online from and ask to see their parts inventory. The majority of them are just drop shipping from a distributor and never even see your part, touch your part or have to have a place to keep your part until you MIGHT need it. So their cost is just their cost of the part, which is how they manage to sell it to you so much cheaper than the local guy that is going crazy trying to listen to you yell at him as to why he doesn't have a $500 part sitting on his local shelf. Would YOU go a buy a 20' batwing mower and let it sit somewhere in a building with the hopes that you MIGHT get an account someday where you might need it?

Yes, it would be nice to go to a dealer and them have a replacement part for everything on your mower, but due to a number of factors, it's just not likely to happen unless they special ordered one before for somebody that never came back to pick it up.

5. Trashr

Trashr LawnSite Member

Here is the link for the $399 hydro pump.

http://www.lawnmowerstuff.com/101-Scag_Hydro_Pump.html

The wheel motor next to it is a good deal also. For what I paid at the dealer for the wheel motor alone I could have got the pump and motor online if I didn't need it that day. I understand your point about overhead and drop shipment believe me. Tree and lawn care is not the only thing I do. The Pump is a very common pump it's not unique. The other point I was trying to make was looking at long term. You would think the dealer would stock these common parts as good service to their commerical clients. It's simple , when you are running a business your are going to invest in the product that will give you good return for your investment. If the dealer can meet your service and parts needs you will most likely stick with the product. However, if the maching sees down time and the grass is growing and your sitting on your hands waiting for the part to come in , you will think seriously about making a repurchase of the said product. On the other hand maybe it would be wise of me to invest in a pump and motor and have them sitting on the shelf when I need them and not depend on the dealer. Especially, when it it a significant savings. The bottom line is when I invest in a mower I not only look at the cost and reliabilty but the availability of parts. We do all our own work in house so waiting for it to come out of the shop is not and issue.

6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Do you stock every possible tree/bush for your customers?

7. Trashr

Trashr LawnSite Member

"Do you stock every possible tree/bush for your customers?"

No, I don't need to the Wholesale Nursery is completely stocked at all times. And this is completely diffrent. Not to get into a slapping contest but a down machine is completely diffrent than a landscape installation job Hopefuly your smart enough to check on the stock and have it ready for pickup or delivery when the work is scheduled to be done, and not go looking for the shrubs or trees the day the job is to be done. I see where getting off target here, Sorry.

8. Landscaper Supply

Landscaper Supply LawnSite Member

Not bad but found it for less $ 369 at mowtownusa.com a site sponsor thanks Lawn site !!!!

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

How is it different? My distributors all have a huge stock of these parts. Do you have any idea how many different wheel motors and pumps are used on this equipment? Why would I stock thousands of dollars in parts when my distributor has them sitting there waiting?

Why would you stock thousands of dollars in landscape supplies when the place you get them has them waiting?

10. Trashr

Trashr LawnSite Member

Wow, That's a great deal thanks for the tip i'm glad I registered on this site it is paying off already. Any constuctive is good by me!