dealer support

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hustla Kid, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Hustla Kid

Hustla Kid LawnSite Member
    from TN

I always have great dealer support for diff. brand mowers I use. Should I expect the same from
    my Trimmer/blower/ect. dealer? Hate to switch brands (other dealers too far away) but not getting the support, I think I should. How are other people here getting treated from thier dealers (as far as "loaners", while one's being repaired)

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Your not getting the support on the small equipment because there isn't enough markup in it.
    You get excellent support, etc when you buy a $10,000.00 mower, but thats partially because he made a couple hundred (sometimes a thousand) on the original sale.
    Turn it around and that $350 string trimmer, he's lucky to make $50 on it.
    It SHOULDN'T be this way, but sometimes it is. Two Cycle equipment is relatively easy to work on, just takes patience. Cant remember the last time I had my Echo dealer work on any of my small stuff, but still wouldn't expect a free loaner or for him to drop what he's doing to get me going. Now, as for my Exmark dealer, everything else on my trailer is from him. I've spent over $30,000 in the past 5 years (not really a lot compared to some) and he DOES drop what he is doing to fit me in, and when he cant, he'll give me a loaner and call me when its done.

Good luck

3. Hustla Kid

from TN

Does make good sence TLS. That's why I was wondering. I have such a good eXmark dealer, I figured I would have better luck buying "his brand" (Robin) and loosing my Shind.dealer.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Robin isn't really in my area at all. Truthfully never heard of them until Lawnsite. I know they merged with Subaru and make decent mid size engines, but never looked at their small stuff.

You could always say to your Exmark dealer, "do you think you could start carrying the Shindaiwa line, I really like their equipment and would rather buy all my equipment from you"

He may be ready to dump Robin anyway, and you may be the convincing factor in switching.

OR you could just buy Robin, they cant be all that bad.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I am extremely spoiled by the service I get from my dealer. Every piece of equipment I purchased is from him. Mowers, trimmers, and any parts. I spent alot of money this summer (easy $25,000) with him but we also "clicked" so to speak. We get along great. I can call him at home at any time just to BS. He truly does, and has, dropped what he is doing to take care of me. He would without a doubt give me a trimmer to use if I needed one that bad. I know he would take a new one off the shelf if he had to to let me use it. He understands that commercial customers are the bread and butter of the business.
    You also have to take into consideration how I treat him. I don't ask questions about price, I always am paid up to date or on the spot. After a couple months of paying on the spot he then put me on thirty days and I pay on time every month. I treat him fair and he does the same to me. It takes time and an effort to build a good and trusting relationship with a dealer.
    Then sometimes, on the other hand, the dealer may just be an all-around jacka$$ and you will never get anywhere with them. At that point and time, you will have to go elsewhere.
    You have to understand the amount of people that come and go in this industry and therefore is hard sometimes to find a dealer that will trust you. They have inevitably been burned by LCO's

6. Hustla Kid

from TN

all good points. Just got back from my eXmark dealer, and did look at the Robins. Most of my friends (over the years) have chosen to use either Shind. or Robin (never tried one out myself) but hear they are nice. Do like my eXmark dealer alot better than the others, and I guess that's reason enough to switch. But, [for the record]I still LOVE Shindaiwas, and have only had good luck with all the one's I've ever used/owned.
    He said the Robin NB281 was about the equivalent of a Shind. T-260. Anyone have any personal experiance with this model? (same price.... alittle more CC's, holds alittle more fuel, and almost the same weight)