Dealer trying to steer me in HIS direction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB1234, Feb 8, 2005.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Okay here's our situation.

We've been running two 48" hydro WB Scag's for a few years now. We like them a lot. Seem to hold up to a lot of use and abuse. Although we had some hydro pump problems last year on the '01 model. Seems to be fixed.

Anyway. We are looking to upgrade to a ZTR this season. We want (well, think we want) to stick with the Scag brand. The dealer sells both Toro and Scag. When we ask about pricing on the Scag he immediately started saying how Scag is going to run me so much more and Toro has a good product (of which we are not trying to deny) and he can get it to us for much cheaper. It seems he is trying to steer us in the direction of Toro even though we are leaning toward Scag. What do you think??? Please I don't want to turn this into Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge. I'm asking what you think about the dealer doing this. thx in advance.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like he wants to move some stock. if you don't want toro tell him that or just go to another dealer that will sell you what you want!

3. 2tall

2tall LawnSite Member

Find a different dealer and see what they have to say.

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

One of my local dealers used to carry Scags, Toro's & Exmarks, they dropped the Scags because they were quite a bit more, they weren't moving hardly any of them. I could get a comparable Toro for close to $2000 less than a Scag.

5. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

What models are you comparing?

I looked at a 48 tiger cub w/19 kawi and ended up buying a 44 inch toro with a 17 Kawi.

My reasoning was that the Toro dealer came down 500 and the toro dealer has A+++++ service and the scag dealer is an A$$.

I do know that TORO offers the dealers big discounts to get rid of old stock, that may be why they are pushing toro. I like toro now and will probably stick with them

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Honestly, there is not a dimes worth of difference between a used car salesman and mower salesmen. Both operate under that same pressures. As I've gotten more years under my belt, it has become almost comical how little these "pitchmen" actually know about the equipment they are selling. I have been to my dealers establishment many times to enquire about this or that accessory that is available for my mower through HIS company and he has no idea that it even exists.

7. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with PLM-1, if you have your heart set on a Scag then he should bloody well accept it. Some of these dealers are straight wankers who don't give a rat's backside about YOUR business. They get kickbacks and that's all that matters to them. I'd tell him to bugger off and go somewhere else where your opinion matters.

8. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

There is a chance that he wants to move a mower that he is paying interest on. If you are deadset on the Scag, tell him! If he acts like he don't want to sell it to you, even though that is the brand you want- WALK AWAY- REAL FAST! :)

Greg

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If he is sooo eager to push you into a different machine than you want, have him demo it for a week. Then you can decide yourself. :)

10. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe he thinks the Toro is a better unit.