Dealer vs another dealer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Feb 22, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Problem, my local dealer who is great to work with, great service, etc gave me a price today on a new mower

Another dealer 50 miles also gave me a price. I was just thinking of price checking until this guys gives me the price.

TORO, 44" Hydro, floating deck, 17 Kawa, electric start walk behind.

Local dealer - - $5250.00

The other dealer - - $4660.00

You see my problem? Loyalty or jump ship or ask my dealer to alot better.

Not only does he need to sharpen the pencil, I think he needs a new one!

If anyone out there is cheaper, maybe I'll order from you!!!

2. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

Hey,

Business is business and I think your dealer will understand that. Tell him what the other guy is offering and tell him you'd prefer he got your money. He'll come down in price.

If he's that far off it sounds like he's leaving room to haggle. You both may end up compromising, he may drop the price or offer to throw in some extras at no cost.

Good Luck

3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

thats a heckuva difference in price, id do the same though, approach your dealer with the price from the other one and ask him to match it, if he says no then thank him and walk out

4. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I dont think he will match the price, but he might meet in the middle and then tell you why he cannot do it for the lower amount. :waving:

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't ask him to match the price, too many variables involved, just like our business. I would ask him why the huge difference? Is there any way he could get close to it and that YOU understand loyalty and his good service, but why the huge price difference? See what he says. As stated before, many dealers have different floor plans depending on their sales volume and so forth. They don't all buy their units for the same price.

Just asking him to match price is like your business and price matching. How do you feel when it happens to you? Don't you like to explain to your customers why you may be more or less in price? Fair is fair. Give him the opportunity in a professional way to address the issue. Ultimatums don't make good business deals.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think Randy just about sums it up...you want to jump ship and drive 100 miles round trip whenever ya have to???

7. meets1

Here is the story. I called him today and told him the deal. He didn't seem surprised at all.

According to him, Toro rates there dealers like a 5 star car dealership. He said I could buy the machine cheaper there due to there volume of sales than what he can purchase it for direct from Toro.

He said that his price was $5000 even, after shipping, etc. He dropped his price to $5100 but said he understood if I went to the other dealer. He would still be happy to do all service / repair work etc. I told him I'd call him back with my final decision Friday.

4660 to 5100 is still a big difference. He offered to throw in a handheld blower - retail $179.00 Red Max, but gee, I already have two, 2 backpack blowers, so I really don't need them but I'll see what happens.

So being that is all true, is that how everything works? I run a medium size operation and I don't give breaks b/c we do certain services in volume.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Meets, I too, am a small biz and have to save every penny I can. However, if I ever find a GOOD dealer in my area if he is a little higher Im going to bite the bullet, I dont care if he sells yugos if he treats me good. The best dealer I have on a scale of 1-10 is a 4. Your difference is about 401 bucks? Plus a hand held blower for 175 which makes it about 226 difference and you know his service is good, Im afraid I would have to take take my local dealers offer . Just my .02. Now is it was 6 ot 7 hundred difference I might go with the other dealer. I believe in taking care of those who take care of me. Dont we all complain about the customers who try to jew us down? How do we feel about it then?

9. meets1

That is true. I am kinda fighting this one a bit. Going with or without him. We all talk about the local community supporting each other, buying local, servicing me well and at the same time giving our dealer the money for a sale.

On the other side, business is business. It is not meant to be personal. If I bid a job and I am high for $50, 100 or $1000, I won't get the job. When I bid commercial property, I don't get it, but yet the guys from 30 - 50 miles away get it cuz they need the work and the little bit of money they make.

Tough call here guys!

10. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you have a great dealer offering to repair the mower that you got somewhere else.
    It’s a shame that dealers can’t buy at the same price, I think that’s the reason a lot of good dealers go under. It sounds like he is doing his best for you in this deal; I would give him my business and be thankful you have a dealer like that!