1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dealer wants $65 for a case of oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siclmn, Aug 31, 2004.

1. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

They want $65 for a case of 2 cycle oil mix Echo brand. Is there a better way to buy my 2 cycle oil?

2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

buy bulk... about 275 per 55 gal drum

3. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

russo power sell 48 of them for 29 dollars, and it redmax oil

4. CapnDean

CapnDean LawnSite Member

opinions to offer.

Echo is not in the oil manufacturing biz. Neither is: OMC, Johnson, Evinrude, Bombardier, Mercury, Yamaha, Stihl, Mccullogh, John Deere, Seadoo etc.....

SO when you buy THEIR brand....Whose oil are you really buying?
    I say it's all made by very few different manufacturers and the variation in quality is slim.

Use a name brand 2 cycle (TCW III) oil and you should be just fine. There is another option and that is to use a synthetic brand (Amsoil and others) But again... it is my OPINION that the true benefit of synthetic oil lies in it's resistance to breaking down over time - - In a two-stroke engine you burn it too fast for it to matter anyway.

Name ONE case that anyone anywhere can show that ANY specific brand of oil made the difference in whether or not an engine lasted any longer than it was designed to last: E.G.
    "Damn shame you used valvoline....if you had used pennzoil that chevy 350 would still be kickin today"

No can do. I concede that there are times when one could say that a LACK of oil caused a failure. Or perhaps the wrong viscosity etcetera...but not that the BRAND made a hill of beans difference.

This opinion comes from a fellow who has put a lot of time on a lot of outboard motors. I have seen more engines ruined from VRO (variable ratio oiling) systems than for ANY other reason.

If you use BIA or NMCA certified TCWIII oils....you will never know the difference. Anybody that says otherwise is trying to sell you their brand of oil.

5. tazz6584

tazz6584 LawnSite Member

we use no smoke 2 stroke 13.00 a gallon many years of service no problems

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Capndean, Amsoil has a superior film strength in comparison to other 2-cycle oils. This is why it lubricates at 100:1 better than most conventional 2-cycle oils lubricate at 50:l. An additional benefit is no fouled plugs or clogged exhaust ports. This has been my experience as well as hundreds of other Amsoil users. BTW, I have zero financial interest in Amsoil.

7. CapnDean

CapnDean LawnSite Member

Locutus:

I do not totally disagree with you here.
    My point is that it is doubtful that the difference in quality would seriously affect the longevity of your equipment. I suppose the only way to prove this point would be to set up a lab test where you feed two identical 2 stroke motors two separate but unlimited supplies of gasoline. Mix one with Amsoil and the other with Texaco and let em rip til they quit.

Assuming that they both ultimately died of old age (and not prematurely from a non oil related ailment)....

CapnDean bets that the money you saved using the cheaper oil, would surpass the extra hours run time you got out of your motor.

Point being: I don't think that you could ever really tell the difference.

8. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets see.. Wouldn't you use less oil at 100:1 than at 50:1??? Less oil = less dollars maybe, Kapn'...

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Capn, I can already tell the difference with no clogged spark screens, fouled plugs or exhaust ports to service. Not to mention a noticable increase in power. The benefits were almost immidiate and noticable.

I agree with you that anecdotal experiences like mine are far from scientific, however enough of these types of experiences leads one to believe that perhaps the evidence is too strong to ignore, although right now I am the only one with his cods dangling in the wind.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the H with what it takes to make an echo run.....

only QUICKSILVER mixes with the gas on my boat!!!

GEO