Dealer Who Ripped Me Off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman72, Jun 27, 2007.

1. lawnman72

lawnman72 LawnSite Member

I've had a Husqvarna 125bt backpack blower for about 4 years. In late november it broke. Immedaitly, i took it to a servicing dealer. It cost me $50 just for him to look at it and find the problem. A few days later he called me and told me that the roter was brocken and that he would have to take the whole thing apart to get to it. So he said it would cost $60 to take it apart and put it togrther again. Then he told me that it would cost $40 dollers for the new part. After that i figured it would be cheaper to fix it myself but he told me i couldn't refund my money. So i said what the heck and get it fixed. He said it would take about a month to fix. That wasn't that bad. Then i get a call from him in MARCH telling me that he forgot about it and since its ben sitting their all winter, their were problems with the fuel tank. He said a new fuel tank would cost $25 and the labor would be $10. When i finally picked it up in May, i owed him about $185! The blower i bought was $200! $15 more dollers and i could of bought a new blower! That is the last time i take a piece of equiptment to that servicing dealer.

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Thats why I always get a price in writing before I let any work go on. I got taken like this too a few times and then I wisened up and started making sure I got what was to be done and the price it would cost in writing...

3. lawnman72

lawnman72 LawnSite Member

thats what i'm going to do next time so they dont rip me off

4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Better find a new dealer! I don' like it when people do that. Taking advantage of customers.

5. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

u should of let him keep it, sounds like he got one over on ya and then two when he left u hanging over the winter and three when u paid for it!! When we take our stuff to a dealer for repair which is hardly never, we get an est. on the repair as well as a time of completion!

6. evertonyardcare

evertonyardcare LawnSite Member

It seem like there are people lake that all over the place

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah...why not just NOT pick the thing up and go buy a new one??? That's what I would do. Any good dealer would give you a heads up on whether or not it's cost-effective to fix a piece of equipment.

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I would say that you were lucky to get 4 years out of that blower. When it broke, you should have just thrown it away. It is just a homeowners model. I have the same one, it is great for day to day use. But when it breaks I'll toss it.

9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I would have told the repair guy that it sounds like he just bought himself a used blower.

10. Ford Guy

Ford Guy LawnSite Member

How do you figure you got ripped off? He told you it would be $50 to look at it and $60 to fix it and $40 for parts. So if you were willing to spend $150, why are you complaining if it's an extra $35. and you could save yourself the $10 and put the tank on yourself, if you're that worried about the cost