dealer woes

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by gardengnome, May 19, 2008.

1. gardengnome

gardengnome LawnSite Member

Yes I'll be bitching!!
    I busted my drive belt today and didn't have a spare, called the dealer: "we do not stock those!":confused:
    I called the dealer (again) to check on my backordered relay switches (you know the ones from the 12/07 recall). supposedly they came in last week, they didn't call because they "lost my number":hammerhead:
    I gave up on the fusion blades I ordered in October!!!!! Got them shipped from PA:dizzy:

And that is just my short list, a number of my friends and colleague who run Hustler can easily expand the selection to make your head spin. Why Hustler is allowing this type of company to remain a dealer is beyond me, these folks are too busy servicing Lowe's Home Depot and WalMart to want to make time for commercial operators. Regrettably it means that unless someone will pick up a dealership in my area (closer then 45 minutes one way) by the time it is necessary to upgrade I will be switching away from Hustler! And mind you. I like my Hustlers, I hear that the reps hands are tied by legal maneuvering by the dealer so perhaps it is time for corporate to step in. It so happens that the local Ferris/Walker dealer might be interested in a maintenance deal for Hustler. Now that would be good news.

sorry for venting, but enough is enough!!!

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I looked through your past posts and I didnt find where you were having dealer issues, I am sorry this is happening.
    If you could e-mail me some details ASAP I would like to look into this for you.
    Dealer info and your info would be great.
    Thank you.

Pj

3. gardengnome

gardengnome LawnSite Member

PJ;
    I gave up posting or even monitoring forums when I realized I was wasting too much time on it. However i knew i could get a response from Hustler on this forum.
    The dealer i am referring to is Upstate Outdoor power Equipment from Belton SC. I am sure Leon, the local rep will give you an earful. As far as my info, what do you want to know. I have been in business for 19 years in the Upstate of SC. My sole mower brand is Hustler, I own or have owned about 8of them. If you want to contact me directly, my e-mail is Barend@my-gardener.biz

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will look into this.

Pj

5. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

your not alone. bought first unit in Ohio. moved to montana. closest dealer 5 hrs away till to years ago and new one is 1.5 hrs. away. terrible. but thats what i get for moving to MT. bought new mower. picked it up with no paper work perfomed, missing pieces, and rude service. had problems and needs and i still know more about these mowers than the local dealers. can't get parts faster than two weeks because Idaho dist. is small and terrible. pay double shipping. I too by most of my parts from PA and get them faster and cheaper.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Who is your dealer?
    E-mail me some details.

Pj

7. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Ronan Power Products, Ronan MT, which is where I bought my last 66/efi. Have to be honest though... it seems to be a fairly common theme out here. We move out here to get away from it all, including the masses, without the masses there are less customers, without cutomers, less dealers, less dealers little or know competition. I live in what they call Flathead Valley, which is made up of four small towns in a 50 mile radius near Glacier Park, and the local Walker dealer for years has had everyone shnookered into thinking that this is the end all mower and you have to bag clippings. When we moved back four years ago I was fired up and hit every local cycle, snomobile, out door equipement store (all five) and tried to get them to take the line on. Even got a hold of the rep. for our area and pushed to see if a dealer could be fired up. Even briefly thought of openning a dealer myself. Since then, other then walker and box store home owner modles, Ronan Power Products became a dealer, bobcat, john deer, and exmark came into the valley but aren't selling well because of the wakler dealers hypnosis hold on them. My next closest dealer is in Great Falls, MT, five hours away, Johnson Distributing. They've been a dealer longer and will probably sell me my next three units at a higher price then your typical eastern dealer. JL is my contact there and does a decent job. But my hats off to Power Pros. in New Holland PA, and Jim Miller, three miles from folks home. They're in the know, have the parts, and can get them to me days faster and for much less. So far the only Hustler dealer I've delt with that can do it all. Did I mention they are about 3200 miles away. I got there name by calling Hustler direct. They helped me out enough I even tried to get them to have a new unit drop shipped directly to me, but I'm afraid it looks like the hastle, if they could even do it, would be too much to make it worth our while. If my last name wasn't Erb, I hadn't attended Hesston college, and didn't care if I help support my mennonite brothers, I hate to say it, but I'd go back to exmark again, mostly due better dealer support (knowledge, parts, cost, etc). After saying all that, I've oddly taken a new approach and I'm laying low, not pushing Hustler or any other like brand in the area. I am able to eat these walker guys lunch due to size (there all using a 48" deck because thats the largest they offer that bags clippings), there sllloooowww (I can knock out a yard in about a quarter of the time and they have to stop to unload), I charge the same or a little less because I don't have to pay to get rid of the clippings at the land fill and don't need extra equipment like a enclosed trailer, tarps or dump truck for the clippings. So in short I'm leaving the system alone and cleaning up! Thanks for all your help. Been running Hustler since 02' and just found this sight last night (like you couldn't guess). Stayed up till 1:00 A.M. reading posts and you got your work cut out for you.