1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealers and O.E.M parts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro-hp_48, Jan 28, 2004.

1. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I have a dealer, that likes to sell the "el cheap-o" oil filters (in particular) for the price that an original (Kaw) should be.
    A. Shouldn't a dealer sell factory parts? are the no name filters a good risk? (I totally baby this WB and bought it new) Hard to support my local dealer when they have a mark up that much.

B. (did a search for on line stores) Where's a good place to buy O.E.M filters?

C. This is the same dealer that was laughing at someone who wanted their blades balanced, thought it was a total waste of time to do so, and the only blade sharpening they like to do is jump under the deck with a angle grinder. Time for a new dealer?
    (know it's in his best interest to not recommend balancing, and sell more spindles)
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, New dealer.

If he is this ignorant in blade sharpening what do you think when you break down and he has to fix it? Oh it will cost you cause he will be grasping at straws replacing this and that untill he actually finds out what it is.

Now OEM is not always the best to begin with, but will keep all waranties entacted. I personally like Wix brand of filters (My opinion) and will pay less for those than the kawi filters at my dealer. I did make sure Kawi would cover any warranties that happened if I was using the wix filters.
    Find a dealer that is willing to give you what you want with a minimal mark up. I realize that your dealer is in it to make money but selling a cheap filter for price of oem kawi filter is crazy. Maybe you should ask him for the kawi filter at same price.
    Good luck.
  3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

That what I was thinking sildoc. Actually, I think when I bought the cheap (I would call generic) filter (7.50+) I ask about an O.E.M. filter, and he just gave my a strange look. Have a good friend, that's "drinking buddies" of the mech. and the owner of a Kubota dealership. Think I'll deal with them, and switch to a Wright Sentar.