dealers don't like manual transmissions

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by pottstim, Nov 1, 2003.

1. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

My local Chevy dealer has a Silverado K1500 LB with the 5300 V8 and auto trans. It has tilt, cruise, cd, a/c, tow pkg, and locking rear diff. The MSRP was right at 26,000, and with the dealer discounts and factory rebates the sale price is $21,100. My current truck is a 2002 Silverado 4x4, and I love it. But, It is only a V6, and I would really like to have more power. I dropped by the dealer on thursday to talk to the salesman who is a friend of mine. He told me that the sales manager/owner will not keep anymore full size/manual transmission equipped trucks on his lot. As soon as he gets them in, he wholesales them. So, he said that I would get lowballed on my trade. He said, "let me call this wholesaler I know and see what he will give you for your truck and come back and see me tomorrow. I went back on friday afternoon and he said you aren't going to like what I have to tell you. He said he wouldn't touch your truck for anything over $11,200 just because it had a 5spd. My truck is like brand new with only 16,000 miles! We looked up NADA, and the trade-in value was around 14,900. Retail was 18,000. I thanked my friend for checking around and told him I would just keep what I had. Has anyone else run into a situation like this when trading? Here is a picture of my truck, which was taken last month. I'll be darned if I will give it away for $11,200.:dizzy:

2. pottstim

here is the truck

camera picture 10.jpg

3. pottstim

here is another. don't know why the first is so blurry

camera picture 5.jpg

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Im in a similar situation, and i have just decided to run mine into the ground....however long it takes

5. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like a nice truck, I'd keep it. Or you could sell outright. Many people out there perfer manual transmissions, and you might find the right buyer.

Randy

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Anymore people spending 25-40k on a truck just don't want to shift. I don't, If the tranny goes it will usually give signs while under warrenty. Try selling it yourself to nice to give away

7. pottstim

I have thought about selling it outright, but it isn't something that I've thought about very seriously. Two weeks ago, I was approached by a man in his 60's at a gas station. He said that is a nice truck, do you want to sell it? I told him that I'd never really thought about it, but maybe I would for the right price. Once he found out it was a stick, he said he couldn't do it, he had to have an auto. That seems to be the case for most people these days. I believe I will keep it for a while. This evening I ordered a set of bed rail protectors for it.

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I guess it is just me, but I find it funny that Chevy keeps a majority of their 4x4's at the exact same height as their 2 wheel drives. It just kinda looks funny sometimes. Every Ford or Dodge you see has some more height to it. Just an observation. Quite a few people here in TX prefer the manual. I do. I drive an automatic now but I still prefer the manual. It gives me soemthing to do, so I am not just sitting there!

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

This reminds me of a book I read. This father was teaching his daughter how to drive and told her to never trust a man who drove an automatic. I know when I was looking at trucks I had a hard time finding a stick. I did find a ford with a inline six and 5 speed. I prefer to drive a stick shift, especially in a truck.

10. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Ford for 2004, doesn't have a stick option in their f150s.:realmad: