dealers taking too long

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Jul 20, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i took my honda into the dealer that i always have gone to so i could get my rpms cranked up... i have to leave my mower in their shop for 3 weeks before they will get to it...:blob2: it's a dang good thing i have a back up mower or i'd be screwed.. just wanted to complain..

2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Would find a new dealer!

3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Rhett, I used to live on P'cola beach. My favorite place was on the bay side of the bridge (Ft.Walton/Destin) in that shallow blue water. We'd run the boat up the intra coastal and throw the anchor out along with several hundred others and jump into the waist high water and drink beer. Very nice place. I remember Destin when I was at Eglin in the late '70's, it was a lot less commercial.

4. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Find a new dealer. I've made it clear with dealers that they put mine onthe list first because if i lose money they will lose money;)

5. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

I'm sorry, I just find it interesting that every post I have read on here about dealers is that each of you deserves to be put first on the list because you lose money... blah blah blah. If you have to be first, and so does the next guy, and the next guy and so on and so forth. Who is second? Who is last? What happens when somebody brings in a machine with a busted gasket that will take a while to fix? I'm sorry, it's just that I know my dealers pretty well. They get to me pretty much right away if I need them to because I do work for the family. However that is if it's something minor. If it is major I just leave it there. I tell them to take their time because while I may be losing money, I also know that by nagging and nagging and nagging some more that just pisses them off. I have known these people for a while and can safely say that they are NUTS. If you piss them off they have and will kick you out of the store along with your equipment in a not so nice way. It's a double standard here. Most of us have a nice size customer list. And I am sure that most of your customers think that you only work for them. Try reversing that role to where you are the customer and the dealer is you. Please have some patience.

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I jumped the gun. If the service was consistently that slow I would definetly be looking elsewhere. Or in my case if the dealer cannot get me in I have a friendly repair shop in town that may be a few dollars more but will ussually have commercial equipment back by the next day. Tony you are right. Crab Island (actually just a sand bar) is still a popular place on the weekends to drop anchor with several hundred other boats, stand in the water and drink the refresment of your choice. They even have and ice cream boat and a floating resteraunt with a band this year.

7. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Another that shows you it is a good dealer is if the mower has to be kept a while then he has another machine on your trailer.

The dealer i go to deals in Farm machinery and since Grasshoppers and New Hollands have became popular he has 5 mechanics for serving comercial mowing and getting the job done quik. All his others are trained to service the machines so they can help get us back on the road.

Hope in the next 2 years to add a full time mechanic to my staff so i don' have to deal with dealers at all.

8. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

The question in my mind is what do you mean by adjust. My dealer, who I bought my mowers from, if I call him and arrange a time for him to look at it (that day or the next) and it is something straight forward, like a governer spring adjustment or such, does it in the parking lot or pulls it into the shop and knocks it out. That is why he is my dealer now.

One of my former dealers, who forgot to put on a pulley guard and it munched the pulley two days after I bought the machine, then said it would be three weeks before I could get my mower because it had to fit into the shop schedule, Is now as I stated, my FORMER dealer.

You have to have a good dealer, I consider myself a fair enough mechanic (FAA Airframe and General licenced) and fabricator, but sometimes you need parts, sometimes you need help and sometimes you just do not feel like fooling with the dang things! Your dealer, who you spend a fair amount of money with, should be willing to at least move you a LCO to the front of the line in front of the Homeowenrs and if it is something they can knock out in 10 minutes or less do it right as soon as you bring it in, or, as someone else said, you should get an extended demo ride of the new model.

Al B

9. agrostis palustris

agrostis palustris Banned

I hear you there Alan. But what about all the other contractors that are ahead of you???

10. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new mower in the fall. In the spring after a couple weeks of use, the battery started to lose charge. I checked it with my meter, and discovered the regulator was only putting out 10v.
    Called the dealer, "sure bring it in, we'll push it right through!"
    So my day is going better.
    When I get there I find out that the desk and the shop apparently aren't communicating, and the demo for lcos with over 24hr turnover is out of commission.
    It took 4 days to tighten the screw on the ground wire to the voltage regulator.
    What did I do?
    Bought my own service manual.
    Works for me.