Dealer's that are also Competitor's ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JJ Lawn, Apr 29, 2003.

1. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Walker has changed dealers in my area from John Deere to a local landscaping company. I am still checking as to the why of this change. Talked to Bob Walker yesterday and am waiting for answers, which he promised would come.

I have had excellent service from the JD folks. They kept a good supply of parts, and blades. And they always gave expedient service to the commercial people.

I don't really like the idea of my competitor servicing my mower. They run about four crews with Walker mowers. I am concerned that if I take my mower in for repair or warranty work, and they have 2 or 3 of their mowers in for repair, when is my mower going to get worked on. I was assured that this would not happen, but there has already been some lies told. That is another story, that I will share as soon as I get more facts.

Anyone have any dealings with a dealor/competitor, good or bad?

Should I bite my tongue and give them a chance?

Jim

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

The Exmark dealer 45 miles away from me is a LCO also, they sell Exmarks, but usually only have about 4 in stock. They also sell shindy equipment too.

3. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

the local ferris dealer is also one of the largest LCO's in the area. I bought my ferris last year around august. It took 4 weeks to get a grass gobbler for it. I was almost done with leaves by the time i got it. I brought it in this spring b/c it was leaking oil from shaft. They have a seperate mechanic that works on all outside mowers. Well my mower that they sold me and is under warrenty got in line behind 2 murry lawn tractors and a john deere front deck that was about to fall apart. 1 1/2 weeks later i got it back and it was fixed. Of course by then i had already bought my new exmark. I have found that most times there equipment will come first. Some companies do this b/c they get better deals on all there equipment. Good luck

4. JEFF ZALMANOFF

JEFF ZALMANOFF LawnSite Member

i think that is bad bussiness , i would not give
    my money to someone who is out bidding for the same work .the manufacter of any mowers should have only real dealers. how hungry are manufacters, to back stab us.

5. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

Under no conditions would my money go to a dealer/cutter operation. I would make this completely clear to Bob Walker also. The John Deere shop will probably still be able to service your equipment. Good Luck with the outcome from Bob.

6. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes they can still service the mower, but the problem is that they will not be able to get parts once their inventory they have now runs out.

I talked to the Walker distributer for this area, and he told me that if they (JD) wanted to buy parts for Walkers they would have to buy them from the new dealer at retail prices.

The funny part about all of this is that John Deere has still not been officially told that they are no longer a dealer. They have heard the rumors, the new dealer is operating, but no one has said a word to JD.

JD called the distributer the other day for a special part. The girl taking order told JD that she did not think that they could sell them the part. JD asked why, and girl said that they would have to talk to her Boss, but he was out of the office. She said that he would call back and explain. He has not made the call yet.

They did get the special part though.

Jim

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

One of the local shops in the area does this here as well. Fortunately for me I have other sources for parts and give them no business. I am all for always giving the local guys the business but in this case I avoid it like the plague.

Gravely_Man

8. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our local Great Dane dealer is a mowing company also, this does'nt bother me. I think competion is good if we would be scared of it I think I would be in the wrong business..

9. jbrink01

jbrink01 LawnSite Member

Local Toro / Exmark / Stihl dealer has a fairly large mowing and landscaping operation. He's got plenty of work and a good reputation. He's expensive, which is good. Keeps everyone else's prices up, except the local "pickup and yard tractor guys" who are happy with $10 / hour for themselves.....