Dealing w/property managers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grapevine, May 9, 2001.

1. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

This is going out to you guys who deal with more than one property manager. We take care of six large condos and have been doing them for a number of years, I know them like the back of my hand. The problem is, these guys always want to do walk throughs and point out this and that, and I'm tired of doing it. Property managers get a flat fee or are paid by the hour for their work, We get paid by the cut or what's stated in the contract, I don't get compensated for walk throughs.
    Any suggestions on how to deal with these guys in a way that won't piss them off, but will get them off my back and let me get back to work.

2. Lawngeek

Lawngeek Guest

you may need to add this into your bid as a service fee its usually included as part of overhead

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Delegate
    Perhaps this is a great opportunity to see if a trusted foreman has the ability to cover this task
    Explain that you will be sending Mr. Smith to revue the property task n' needs for the upcoming year .....Period ......end of story ....this is this persons job .....he will report to you to keep you informed .......he will be motivated with the appreciation & given the trust you are giving them .......
    Easy said ........I know .....as this person must have people skills and be a good listener as well as maintain YOUR standards ..........
    ...otherwise if only you can trust this ......your pretty stuck ....they love to fluff their feathers ....this is a major step to larger company growth .....Delegation

4. these property managers, how much money do they pay you each year? if it is only 20, 30, 40 thousand dollars maybe you can get away with letting a foreman go and take care of this. however if somebody was paying me 100+ thousand dollars i would make sure my a$$ was there to listen to this person. who knows? maybe they will point out something extra for you to do where you can add an extra couple grandt to your wallet.

5. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

I hear what you guys are saying and I'll probably do as I always do,
    find the time to meet with these guys. I have 3 full timers and I'm also one of the shlubs running a mower, in other words I haven't learned how to delegate. I've been doing this for 14 years and will never make the leap to big time, oh well. This time of year (as you all know) everybody wants everything yesterday and sometimes it can be overwhelming, just got to remember to fill that prozac script.
    Thanks for the feedback.

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

ONLY 20,30,40 THOUSAND A YEAR!

New York must be a booming place!

Since when was a 40 grand contract something to sneeze at?

7. well let me put it to you like this homer, a big contract around here for just cut the grass, fertilize, clean ups, plow the snow. is around 300,000+ a year.

8. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

Not all of us in NY think 20, 30 or 40K is nothing. I personally haven't seen a property that large around here, but I'm in upstate. All $ add up. The only time I have to do walk throughs with prop mgrs generally is for add ons.

9. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

yep lawnboy is right especially out east man.....big money

10. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

You will allways have somenone somewhere say something about the work you do. Try to go after things that you know they will look at, and like everyone else says if it is a big contract then be there whenever you can.