Dealing with a broken window?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Olylawnboy, May 11, 2004.

1. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

I was doing one of my commercial accounts, a 30k sq. ft. building with a acer of turf and windows on three sides. As I was whackin stuff, a guy came up to me ( I didn't see the direction that he came from) and said I broke one of their windows. It happens of coarse, so I say, well lets go take a look and I'll have my insurance cover it or I'll pay for it myself, no big deal to me. So he leads me across a five lane road over to "his" place while telling me his secretary heard the rock smash into the window and looked out to see me weedwhacking across the street. As we get to the building and the window in question, shure enough, there's a hole that could have been made by a rock, but to me, seemed more like a bb or something like that. But after crossing the road and seeing how far the building was set back, I had to laugh to myself as I could only think how stupid it was for anyone to think that I could really have caused that. I even got out my "wheel" and found out the distance from where I was and the window, was 236'. I know a trimmer can throw a rock, but I think the chances of picking up a rock (from lush turf) and sending it that far is right up there with winning the lottery. The trimmer I used is a RedMax BC 2600, not a monster of a machine, but heck, have anyone of you ever broke a window from that far? Is it really probable that I could have done it? And what would you tell someone in this situation? I have to be realistic as it's a $400. window that I'm not just willing to eat the cost of. Thanks for any input....Oly

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

So this rock managed to make it across a 5 lane road without hitting any traffic or other obstacles and still keep the speed up to break a window on a commercial building, who i assume probably used triple paned windows for security purposes? Hmmmm, i think i would ask for some proof and then explain to him that insurance fraud is against the law.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Best of luck to you. I don't see how you could have caused that. As pointed out the rock crossed the road and didn't hit a vehicle but went all that way and hit their window. I would try and talk with them again explaining what you have pointed out here and that you do not see how you could have caused this.

Gravely_Man

4. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt your trimmer could throw a rock that far, and if it did, still have enough terminal velocity to punch a hole in the window. The guy is looking for a new window. Let his insurance company pay for it and decide if they want to pursue trying to collect from you.

5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

In the Shind. manual, it says to stay 50' away from people, ect.

I see no way any obect could travel that far at all.

Light enough to travel 236', would have to be way too light to do any damage.

6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

to travel that amount of distance, and still have the mass to penetrate a commercial grade glass, you would have had to shoot it from a 44 magnum!
    I highly doubt you were responsible for this damage.
    Could you tell from the break if the damage had just occurred? Was there any dust around the hole, was the hole completely through the glass, what was the shape of the hole (like a perfect circle indicates a bb). I would think the site may explain a lot, and you measuring the distance really helps your case. You can basically take the distance, and the glass properties, and determine the size and speed the stone would have had to have been traveling, and determine if it is possible for your trimmer to have done this.
    I am not suggesting you do this, because it may be a waste of your time, but I would explain this to them in your defense.
    I've done one too many physics problems like this, and I am sure a local college could offer assistance from their professors, as they'd make it a real life field trip experience for the class.
    I don't think I'd pay for it without defending myself on this one.
    Hope it works out for you!

7. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Thanks guys for your input. Today I showed the guy some research I did as well as a printout of this thread. He saw the reality in everything you all said. But Twins, your the man, this guy was really impressed by what you had to say, and now looks at our industry with much more respect. And when his contract expires with the lco he has now, guess who gets it :) Thanks again guys!!!... Oly

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Oly I give you lots of credit on that one. Lots of people would have told the guy to pound sand up the backside and just went on but you handled yourself as a true Professional. It is evident that the guy was impressed by you also since you are getting his business on top of it. That truly was good to hear. Thanks for making our industry a little better.

9. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

Maybe there's a Sniper in the area. OR maybe you're the sniper with a gun posing as a string trimmer.

10. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

DITTO