Dealing with boredom

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Eho, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

Now that I'm finished for the year, I have nothing to do. I am a full time college student, but once my classes end in the morning, I dont have anything to do. What do you guys do in the off season to stay busy?

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Move where it's warm and cut some grass!

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I hear the sound of a mariner boat engine, the sound of fish bait splashing in the bucket, and the plopping sound of bait hitting the water waiting for a large crappie to inhale it, the sounds of birds singing in the crisp morning air, ahh nothing as relaxing as sitting on a lake or river with no phone, ZTR, trimmer, twins fighting, just absolute peace and quite! I enjoy some time off. If you were married and had kids you would ENJOY the h-ll out of having nothing to do (for a short time anyway).:D To answer your question, when the grass stops here, it comes to a dead standstill. I use this time for shrub trimming, repairing flower beds,and basically go on a 3 month vacation until spring. There is no such thing as snow here.

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I like to spend that time fiddling with the cars I have here that need various bits of this and that repairs. rebuild things that got broke over the last few months, meditate, or just tinker with engine settings for more power.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

zzzzzzz....
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

and work on my site :)

sometimes:
    clean house...
    fix a thing or two, cars or equipment...
    cook (or learn how) !!!! Cooking kix @zz thou it took me a few years...
    spend some money but watch it ! I like going to thrift stores and salvage barns, big lots is cool :)

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

College must have really changed over time! You are a full-time college student, and "have nothing to do?" Sorry, but I cannot connect the two notions.

When I was in college, the week didn't have enough hours. Nobody had down time and there was no chance for boredom, let alone working a lawn businessness on the side. Maybe you need to take a few steps back to determine if you are putting yourself into your college education, and taking away all that you can from the experience.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking the same exact thing.

They don't have any girls down there to occupy your time? :D

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yep that exactly why I didn't go to college, B/C my business would be down to nothing, instead of where it is now. If I went to college i would be broke with no assets.

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

whats this 'off season' you speak of?

back when i was in college i barely had time for a part time job.

10. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

EHo- Same boat. been in business 7 years and don't need income in the winter. Every winter its a stuggle not to hurt myself from the boredom. Get a girlfriend she'll suck up all your time. Other than that do what as the Romans do and drink with some old friends that you dont see much of cuase your always mowing. Its not the best thing to do but for us not to serious college guys who dont need the another job what else is there to do???