Dealing with cars parked on lawns.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ke5hbd, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ke5hbd

ke5hbd LawnSite Member

OK I have a problem now. I have picked up a nice complex but the tenants always park their cars on the lawn or the fronts of the cars hang over the edge of the parking area and I cant mow or trim under them after I have left letters on their doors explaining which days I will be there to do the lawn service and the need of not needing their vehicles on the grass.

The owner has expressed his unlikeing of the grass that does not ger mowed or the edges that don't get trimmed and I have explained to him what I have attempted to do to contact the tenants but he is not pleased.

I don't want to loose this contract over lazy as@ none parking people but what do you in a case like this.

This is a $300.00 a month contract which is mowed each week and I have five more contracts on the same street that I do.

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Is it really worth it? I mean, if you aren't desperate for jobs, why mess with this perpetual headache.

3. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

There is not much else you can do about this situation. All you can do is preventative maintenance for the next contract. I ran into this with a Ford dealership. They said that they would move the cars for us when we showed up. So I did not put it in my contract. Now every one of my commercial contracts have a clause that states that I am not responsible for vehicles being on the turf. I make it there problem!

4. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Let the owner know that you cannot mow it when a car is parked on it and give him the schedule and let him deal with the residents. You have done more than I would have by trying to reach the residents yourself

5. ke5hbd

ke5hbd LawnSite Member

I just got off the phone with the owner of this property and he went to each tenant with their contacts and showed each of them that there is to be no parking on the lawns or overhanging vehicles that would keep the lawn service from doing their job and he assured me if they did it again to contact him and he would fix the problem even if he had to have the vehicles towed at the owners expense.

I guess we will see if his bark is good enough.

I don't like doing half as@ work.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Just be cautious for now at that place though of any retaliation from the tennants.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i have a used car dealership that rents a property from one of my big clients and the always park cars on the grass we come the same day every week to cut it and they never move them my guys even go up and ask them to move them and they we will well be right out and never move them...i snapped last week when the crew told me that and i drove by later that night and gave it to them now theres 3 brown car spots on the grass but no cars

8. ke5hbd

ke5hbd LawnSite Member

Got my bases covered on the retaliation part because my aunt lives there and she always watches my stuff even though everything is locked up.

I don't like cutting these places but its good fast money at $150.00 a month and no more than a hour total and that includes talking with my aunt before and after finishing the job.

Now I have a chance to pick up two more complexes in the neighborhood at the same price and size.

Might end up with an entire days work on the same street.

BTW after the low ballers that were doing this complex couldnt do the job and quit I got it at name my price.

Hope some day to make this my fulltime job.

9. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a hot-shot, former LCO, tell me my truck was leaking oil on his driveway, Could I park MY truck on opposite side of his lawn? I made sure he was paid up before last Memorial Day holiday cut, then I didn't show up! Man he called for 10 days in a row, sorry about the situation, said he knew it wasn't my truck wanted me to cut asap, etc. He was obviously a slow learner, cause I don't take that sh*t from nobody! Firing a-holes is fun, I never tire of it!:laugh: :laugh:

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Trim it with an articulating hedge trimmer attachment on the end of a trimmer shaft. You can buy the head attachment alone and add it to a line trimmer or get the whole set up. That would solve the ones that hang over at least.
    Look Here-Hedge Trimmer