Dealing with exposed tree roots (Pine)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by stumped, May 13, 2006.

1. stumped

stumped LawnSite Member

I'm new here so bare with me if this question has already been asked.
    I have a number of huge Pine trees in my yard. They range from 75' to 100' tall. A couple of years ago the roots started popping through the ground. This year I can barely get a mower over them without clipping one.
    I know I shouldn't cut them, but I have to do something. Two of them are right in the front yard and look like heck!
    So, HELP!!!!! I'm sort of lawn challenged!:eek:

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Get a load of top soil in and cover them up. Or kill the lawn and mulch over them. Less to mow.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do not cover them up with topsoil..grass competing with roots the roots will always win.Mulch

4. stumped

stumped LawnSite Member

I guess I should have mentioned the roots span out and cover about 1/3 of my front lawn, mulching won't work. Can I use topsoil and just raise the lawn level so I don't clobber the roots with my mower??:confused:

5. stumped

stumped LawnSite Member

I did a site search this morning on this subject, went way back. Guess you are the one who knows their stuff. The roots stick up a couple of inches. I have already clipped many of them with the mower knocking off huge chunks of root, not helping my mower a bit! Unfortunately the tree belongs to the village so I can't just cut it down, besides it a beautiful pine tree. The problem is the roots extend out at least 20 or 30 feet from the tree. I can't mulch that much space. Can I fill the space between the roots with top soil to at least make it mowable? The space between exposed roots is roughly 2 to 3 feet apart.