dealing with fences

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by puregreen345, Dec 21, 2005.

1. puregreen345

puregreen345 LawnSite Member

I am new in the business and was wondering how you deal with your mowers not fitting through fences on residential lawns, do you cut the fence or just simply use a smaller mower?

2. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

Ya i would suggest tearing down the fence.

On a serious note, you should probably just use a small mower, such as a 36" or even a 21" if you dont have one.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If my 48" lawn-mower does not / will not fit through the gate in the fence, then I can not (and will not) cut their grass.

No ifs, ands, or buts.
    Sorry, can't do it.

Like the other guy's signature quote says:
    The key to failure is trying to please everybody.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Cut the fence.....no gate? Almost 100% of the new subdivision in Texas have a 36" gate. Simple to buy a 36" mower or smaller!

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Do you already have this problem or just planning.
    If you only have 1 mower and it is a 60" deck than don't do any yards that have gates. If you have a 48" that will fit a lot of gates so check each one.
    If you have a 36 it will fit most all so no problem.
    Really has to be a case by case deal, is the job worth doing if there is a hassle or do you charge extra because of extra time
    Avoid using 21" mowers on anything large as the time will kill you.
    If you have to buy a mower look at a 44" as it will fit almost anything. But first look at you target customer.

6. C&F Landscaping

C&F Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have run into the same problem...My soultion is to take some time in Jan and Feb and drive through new neighborhoods and write down the addresses of potential customers with no fences and send them a welcome letter in mid Feb. This way i can pick and choose the customers i want to go after.