1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with local company -no thx

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JFGauvreau, Apr 18, 2010.

1. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a lot of feedback about dealing with a local company is much better, if you help their business locally, they will help yours. I understand that and even got business out of it. But the prices are ridiculous!

The lady that does the hats and t-shirts charged me 466$ for 2 hats (embroided) and 6 t-shirts with the logo on the front and back side.

Way overprice, I need to go talk with her again because the prices makes no sens at all.

The guy who does my business cards charged me 175$ for 1000 cards. I checked vista print and order 1000 for 40$ (with shipping). Of course they are not as good as the ones at 175$, but i'm sure it wouldn't be so expensive to make them as nice as the other ones.

2. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw the thread you were talking about. I'm all for supporting local companies too. However, I'll be supporting a different local company than my printing company.

Asked for a quote on 5000 4x6 postcards, my design, color front, black back. $650.

I'll support my local mom and pop restaurant, or perhaps a local hardware store, but these guys aren't getting my money for this particular order.

3. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

ya the one printshop online that had very good pricing really messed my ordeer up. 1st was doorhangers they were supossed to have them in by March 1 didnt get them til March 26. I had a special on them if contract signed by April 1 so that wouldnt work. then second they printed biz cards for me and spelled words wrong, i gave them one that i had just to get it copyed, no changes just print and they got it wrong.

4. Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC LawnSite Member

That sounds pretty high to me. My local silk screen company just did an order for me which was 6 long sleeve pocket tees, and 6 short sleeve pocket tees full color logo front, and back, and total cost was just under $ 200.00. I also get all of my embroidered items... hat's, polo's etc. from queensboro.com
    they do excellent work, and are very reasonable they also only require a min. of 4 items, and will let you mix, and match.

5. KelleyZP

KelleyZP LawnSite Member

wow those prices seem really high. our local guy just did 24 orange tshirts with small front logo and full back ( single color screen print) for 198.00 ...IMO go with the screen print instead of embroidered, use the money somewhere more benficiial

6. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

Care to share a website for your local company that printed your shirts? That seems like a great price to me and I happen to be in the market for ordering some.

7. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

It was screen printed, and she said the ink templates where the most expensive, once they are paid, they are paid for good, but still so expensive.

but 24 t shirts for 200, that's amazing, I wish we had some good local t shirts company as you here.

8. kgcs

kgcs LawnSite Senior Member

yall pay way to much. I got my 25 shirts for $150. One color and front only

9. DollarSign

DollarSign LawnSite Member
    from MN

Say the hats were $33 a piece (way too much already!), that's $66 for each shirt! Are you kidding me?!? Where I shop (I enjoy nice clothes, I shop at Macy's, Hollister, Abercrombie, etc., I'm not a cheap a$$ when it comes to cleaning up and looking good after work) those are prices I will NOT pay for.

10. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

go to: www.docucopies.com

I do 1/4 page postcard fliers four per page on cardstock + cut and pay about $180 for 4000 back is white so I can mail em' if I wanna

neighbor flier.jpg