1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with neighbors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scott's Lawn Maintenance, May 18, 2008.

1. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday I had a run in with one of my neighbors. They accused me of running over one of their garbage cans on my way out to work. When I got back there was a note left to me saying I ran over the garbage can and that
    I should have stopped and moved it out of the way, then to top it all off they
    parked their cars so that I couldn't back my trailer into my driveway without
    going down the end of the block and turning around. I went over to talk to them and told them I didn't run over the garbage can, the husband said are
    you calling my wife a liar, crumbled up the note stuff it in my pocket and told
    me to get off his property. To make a long story short ,their was a heated discussion that followed with a few expletives thrown in. We hopefully resolved our differences and shook hands. Could you imagine all this over a garbage can.
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Well??? Did you run over the can or not? We won't tell.:nono:
  3. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

NO, I think you would know if you ran over something , or at least admit if
    you did.
  4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

man I'm so glad to have great neighbors on either side. Neighbor on the south side of me lets me use his driveway. I let him run his horses on my back lot. I mow his yard for $45 a week. must be a northern thing.
  5. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

LOL! He wrote a note on the damaged garbage can?! That is pathetic. I woudn't even take the time to confront the guy.
  6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

wow maybe he should have taken the cans out of the street on his own, are you the neighbor hood garbage can watch man in charge of standing up knocked down cans ? personally i would let it go, because it can only cause more problems for the future. I run my business out of my house also, i don't know about your area, but here i am not supposed to run a business out of my home, so i try to be real nice to all my neighbors and keep them happy, because one bad one and the town is up my ass making me get a shop.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I had a similar run-in around 2 years ago, the neighbor pasted a note to my glass screen door in such a stubborn manner (tape on ALL sides) that it took a dang razor blade to get it off and in that process the glass got scratched. This is a big screen door to the porch, one huge piece of glass and that kind of glass ain't cheap.
    But long story short I took care of the problem, and not another word was said.

I did, however, put up working security cameras after that.
    Few come around my yard now, but I also made changes to how I do things, to make SURE it don't come around again.

Oh yeh and I was awful angry at the time too, but:

Yup, same thing here, first always kiss butt even if it sux.
    Then keep it quiet, keep it neat, and stay the HELL away from them :laugh:
    You got to keep them happy, all I know.

I'd be for taking a 1-200 foot or so DETOUR around them trashcans lol, make sure to go WAY out the way so they don't get hit.
    And IF they do the fact that you are now so obvious about avoiding them at ALL costs should relieve the suspicion.
  8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I simply wouldn't have responded at all to a note. I did have a dipwad trying to build a small taco shack across from my shop start a problem.
    Seems people were dumping their garbage into his dumpster and this dipwad thought it was coming from my shop across the street. I spoke nicely to this dipwad on the telephone ONCE that it wasn't from my shop yet he persisted in spreading rumors throughout the area that my crews were responsible.
    I ignored the rumors in the area until I came back to the shop and found that this dipwad had dumped six or seven bags of garbage in front of my shop door. So I had the crews collect this refuse in the large cans carried on the trucks, we all walked across the street and piled all of it up in front of his "taco" shop.
    Then I called the health department, they placed a cease and desist operations order on his door, his business permanently closed down so the trash company hauled off the dumpster - end of problem.