1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with Pine Trees

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GWM, Feb 21, 2005.

1. GWM

GWM LawnSite Member

I am in an area of the country where pine trees are a major part of the landscape. If you have them, you know that they shed needles profusly and year-round. Tree density can range between 15-20, >12" diameter pines on .25 acre to a couple of tress in a 1-acre yard. My qestion, as a new guy, is how to deal with them.

Will mowing an a 2 week schedule keep them sufficiently shredded to the point that they are not a problem? Centipede is the prodominant grass and should be able to stand lower the lower soil pH that this practice will create. Many home-owners use baggers. What are some options?

Any suggestions from those in similiar areas/situations is appreciated.
  2. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

I believe you're going to have to bag those needles a few times each year. Pines shed in cycles and when it's time they come down heavy. Trying to mulch thru thick pinestraw makes a terrible mess.
    Be sure to allow for cleanup on every trip because there will always be small sticks and pinecones everywhere.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure if its an option...just throwing something out there...

Can you make mulch beds under the pine trees? In essence you'd never have to install mulch could it would naturally be there. Then when they shed outside the mulch bed blow them back in.

Again, just throwing something out their to think about.