Dealing with rain in the Northeast

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Oct 22, 2005.

1. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I have a question for guys in the Northeast. As we all know it rained like h3ll last week. Saturday was the first clear day with no real rain. I got a scant few cut on thurs and fri but went for broke on sat and sun. I started cutting at 7AM on sat knowing there would be complaints.:rolleyes: The first customer is getting sued in 2 wks so screw-em. The second customer complained moderately but was easily schmoozed. The fourth house is a good customer and I thought by 8:30 I would have no more complaints. WRONG. My strategy was mow,blow,and go so as to get as many jobs done as possible before dark. Sunday I started at 9AM, mowed all day, nobody complained;) Finally the question. Would you have mowed on the weekend or started on Monday cutting on 12 days for the same price or pushing them all off to 2 wks and charging double.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

7:30 is a little early but by 8 it full go. With the rain I would believe that customers would just be happy that you are cutting.

I would hate to have to work with uptight customers. Most of my customers would TELL US that they were sorry we had to work on Sat. and if we were there early they would try to feed us.
    Cut away as the rain is coming back!

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would have (and did) start on the weekend. Anyone have a problem with that is history.

4. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com LawnSite Member

We started later on Sat because it was really wet. I got alot done Sat and then we started by 9 on sunday and did 25 on sunday so that really helped me out getting them done. Im doing aerating and overseeding so that is really getting me behind on my mowing too... and I planned on aerating all weekend and still am but we are getting soaked.... Pulls great Plugs though.
    We just stopped back at my place to grab luch check radar and dry out a bit and then its back to it.

Anyway back to the topic Mowing last weekend was really the only way to go. Its one thing to skit a week when it DRY and not growing but to skip a week when it needs it... We all lost enough weeks to the DRY weather

5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I started on monday like it was a new week.The lawns wernt really as long as i expected didnt even really have to double cut.Yes i missed out on a week of work but if decided to cut them all on the weekend it would just thrown the whole schedule off.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

u charge for every extra inch of grass u cut

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Do you measure each blade and add it all up or just take an average?

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

u get my point. it's averaged out at xx amount of money per week, times the weeks in a season. anybody charging per cut is doomed

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Guess I'm doomed.

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Geez Rod, I didn't know that doomed filled your matre$$ so well! I too must be doomed as we charge per visit ( there are at times some price adjustments like in the case of 9 days of non-relenting rain)