Dealing with rain, mony and heavy grass!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, May 10, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

At some point either this year or early next year, I hope to have a full five day schedule. I have sold all of my customers on a 7 day schedule.
    What happens when it rains for 2-3 days (heavy) and you can't get to a customers lawn for 2 weeks?
    Do any of you employee a rain clause in your work agreement so that you are compensated for heavy grass due to rain delays?

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just work until I'm caught up. Sundays? You betcha.

3. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Dont most people work sundays in this industry? i see more and more landscapers/mowers working on sundays then ever before/

4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do this simple calculation.
    How many weeks a year do you provide lawn service work???
    Divide that number into 2080.
    That will give you how many hours a week you should work to average 40 hours a weeks all year long.
    THAT is why we mow and work 7 days a weeks so we can have off time in the off season.
    So I assume if you have a 5 day schedule you work 52 weeks a year!!

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I see quite a few LCOs out on Sundays. A few years ago I rarely saw any.

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I just mow in the rain.

7. lawncare18

Sunday is a nice day to be working personally. No trafic, and usually its a lot less stresfull then other days of the week.

8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't work on Sundays routinely, but I do when I have to get caught up. On the other hand, I don't subscribe to the notion that I have to work seven days a week in order to earn my time off. I can't do this seven days a week all season long. I doubt many of us can.

The idea is to make all the income you need in a season, or enough that any other work you can do in the off-season will carry you over. Eventually, with all the planning that goes on, this should provide us all with a full living, considering the risk of ownership and the health risks involved. Otherwise, what is the point?

9. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

So, work in the rain, you won't melt. Weekends are for my wife, golf, fly fishing, my yard, reading, relaxation, my puppy and life. Rain is an inconvenience at most.

10. lawncare18

Work in the rain? then you have mud trakcs, clumps of grass and even bad cut? I wouldnt cut in rain unless we were days behind.