Dealing with Realators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eho, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

hey guys...I ve added about 6 new accounts so far this year, but I d love to add some more. I m considering going around talking to several local realators and mowing some of the lawns they have for sale. Have any of yall tried this? Good idea or bad idea?
    EHO

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a search this was just talked about just resently...

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, and it wasn't all that positive either.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a good idea.

5. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

And I might add over the last 20 years several have not been.Realtors are
    about a tightfisted bunch -other than farmers-as I have ever run across!

6. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

Stay away from realtors!!!!!
    They want it done right now and they dont send payment on time and plus when you do want to get paid you have to their office.
    They are the biggest PITA's.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think it depends on the realator. I mow for an owner of a real estate management firm. I mow his lawn (full service) and two properties that he manages. I also mow others as they become non-vacant. I do charge a premium for this and all his properties are within my route. There are times they call and want me to mow before the city does....so that tells you some of them get to be very overgrown. They never ask for an estimate, just do it. He knows that it might be up to a week before I get to it and does not have a problem with it.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I personally have only had one realtor over the years that I have worked for. I have one realtor, that I have been doing work for now 9 years. It's a father and son operation and I love it.

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I highly suggest avoiding Realtors. I know the money may seem to be easy, or at least easy to come by, But unless your idea of fun is waiting (seemingly forever at times) to get paid, possibly ruining your equipment ( every single time I damaged my equipment last year, it was on a job for a Realtor ) And working for the absolute least amount of money ( 99% of the time the work is awarded to the low bidder )..

Just leave the Realtors alone. Why work harder than you have to, to make less $$$?

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

they want you to cut a lawn, very important. Then 2 days later a lawn on the same street needs it. Then go to do one you have been doing for some time and the new owners are there painting "oh i forgot to tell you we sold it" And dont mind waiting for money.