Dealing with Sticks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by avjohnson, Jul 16, 2007.

1. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

There are lot of places I do that have tons of trees which shed a lot of dead sticks whenever there is any type of windstorm. It takes forever to pick em all up so I usually just "mulch" em as best I can and pick up the larger ones...I know it dulls the blades but I don't know how else to deal with it. What do other people do?

2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I do the same. If you have to pick up sticks then you need to charge more in my opinion. Prices around here are rock bottom for mowing and if the other guy wants to do that sort of thing to keep a customer, he can have em. There is no money in doing 2 jobs for one pay.

3. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Charge by the hour to pick them up if they are getting to be a problem.. We had a large ice storm this winter and we are still cleaning up the "stragglers" that were stuck in the tops of trees.. Most of these places I've already been paid for the clean-up so we pick them up as they fall...

Hope this helps, No one should provide a service free of charge.. I feel the same with excessive trash pick-up before cutting.

4. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

Some people in the past have been fanatical about stick-removal but my people now are pretty tolerant. Just gotta watch it if you run them over with no catcher on and there are people around...

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

a snapper 21 with the high lift wings attached is what i use for stick debrie -just mulch them up

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

My Snapper 21 HiVac does a great job at this as well.

7. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

heres my dethatcher that i made. it works great for sticks and stuff.

thumb_DCP01461.jpeg

8. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I can't see it. Can you give us a bigger pic ?

9. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If it's smaller around than a bratwurst, I run 'em over.
    Sabal Palm fronds do rattle around a bit, but it keeps the underside of the deck from grass buildup:laugh: ; 2 passes over with the mulching setup usually grinds 'em in good.
    I hate to get home with more stuff than I left with.
    Pretty much everything that can fit under the deck and get "digested" in a couple seconds gets mulched on site.

10. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa