dealing with the heat

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

How many of you guys split your work day up to deal with the heat ? I worked for about 5 hours this morning and started getting dizzy (98f heat index with 50% plus humidity)

I decided around 1pm it was time for a break and came home. I will return to work about 4pm until probably 9pm.

2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

we start at daybreak and usually end before 2 pm when it gets about 113 % already and its not even summer yet.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah I know the drill with the desert heat since I lived in vegas for 7 yrs but I could take that 120 dry heat over this humidity crap anyday. Its when your clothes get wet and your body doesnt breath that it gets bad.

At least in the desert you sweat but stay fairly dry. Ask any of the South east boys. It gets downright nasty down here.

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

if you don't think we have humidity you haven't been here in july or august.dry heat my ass(donkey)we wear t shirts to absorb the sweat and long sleeve buttoned in the middle only so the breeze will cool you off.i have been here since 1975 and been to vegas many times.you have no idea what hot is.

5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I start mowing at 7am and work till im finished which sometimes is till 8pm, drink plenty of water & keep a sweat rag with you because i dont want to come back later and finish nothing!

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I start earlier, but still work straight trough. altho im home right now...i just try not to think about it as best i can. the days go by so fast now, so that its time to go home before i know it.

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

We are 92 here today. Fortunately I am sitting at home getting 3 bids done in the A/C. AAAHHHHH. Tomorrow is a different story entirely. Back to losing fluids again. I try to just gut it out and finish the whole day. Most days I am out from 7-6 and sometimes until dark if I have an adjustment or demo to do. Heck it isn't even getting dark enough to see my lights until 10:30 right now. Sucks living on the edge of a time zone.

8. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Ah, the heat. When I was younger and in better shape I would press on no matter the temp. These days, If we can't be done by 3PM, then I'll come back the next day to start burying the wire early in the AM. I would probably still just keep going, but my employee had to be hauled home due to heat stroke twice last year and once the year before. I don't think I'd go back at 4PM as that's the hottest part of the day.

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I try to start at about daybreak each day and come home for lunch, and to check up on the kids who are off school, and usually hanging around the house, more often than not, during the summer.
    I'll stay there and chill out for the worst 'heat' of the day, maybe 2 hours or so.
    Then I'll go back out after cooling off for a while and typically work 'till about 7 or 7:30.
    (Kind of like a Mexican schedule...come to think of it !!)

I sure wish more mowing contractors around here would adopt some type of summer 'beat the heat' daytime schedule like this...which would take them and their equipment off the lawns during the HOTTEST PART of the day.

That...as well as stop stabbing themselves and others in this industry in the back every year... by the practice of lowering the height of the blades once the turf begins to get a little "summer stressed" and slows down.
    These folks are honestly just looking to do "billing runs" at this point, and no doubt feel guilty if they, their crews, and / or the CUSTOMERS don't actually see much of anything coming out of the discharge chutes !!!

Running ZTRs and heavy walk behinds around on lawns infected with an active case of brown patch....

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/extensn/problems/brnptch.htm

...can serve to spread the disease around on the turf, just the same way a knife spreads peanut butter over bread !!

By the end of July, early August around here, on non-irrigated fescue lawns primarily, alot of lawns are 'patched out' so bad by mowing equipment that the homeowners think their lawn's DRY, even if it ISN'T !!

Lowering the blade height in order to do a "billing run", typically on non-irrigated turf, is the result of the foreman / crew leader / business owner being ignorant of the long-term ramifications of this action.

As a matter of fact...many of them are too stupid (or more accurately, maybe, naive) :hammerhead: to realize that by mowing at the wrong times and/or the wrong height, they're possibly damaging the chances of the lawn bouncing back to do future cuts in later summer...should conditions improve quickly and dramatically.

10. springgreen

springgreen LawnSite Member

Anyone else experiencing these? I can go outside for as little as 20 mins. and I can tell my blood pressure rises, and my head starts pounding and it doesn't let up for several days. I am otherwise a healthy 40 something female and have never had issues of high blood pressure. Anybody found cures for this besides Advil or Tylenol? Thanks!*trucewhiteflag*