1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with the HEAT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Here in western Kentucky the temperature is about 90 and the freaking HUMIDITY is horrible.

What do you guys do to stay cool other than drinking lots of water and Gatorade.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

same here in MI. Drink lots of water and think about snow falling. Helps me!!!! lol
  3. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

A buddy swears by an insulated gizmo he wears around his neck (from Sharper Image).
  4. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

San Antonio / Austin TEXAS... 'nuff said.

I wear long sleeve cotton t-shirts, a bandana around my neck and an extra wide-brim military "boonie hat". It takes a short while to get used to, but trust me - it's like being in the shade. Even if I forget the sunscreen, I'm ok.
  5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i just work faster so i can get inside faster well also only the areas in the shade gets cut... but i am thinking about addin a sun shade on my z and + or negs its also a rops
  6. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

When it gets really hot, I start getting what I call "hot head". It's when you are so hot you can feel your blood pumping through your skull. When this happens, I go to the water jug. We fill it every morning with ice water. I take a palm full of ice water and splash it on my forehead. Then another for the top of my head. Then another for the back of my head. I try to get my entire scalp wet. It's really cold, but three seconds later, you feel like a new man. Makes a big difference. When it's hot out, I do this about every 20 to 30 minutes after lunch until quitting time.

Oh, one more thing. When it gets really hot and you're sweating like that all day, if you don't replenish the salt during the day, you'll get muscle spasms at night. I get them in my calves. Anway, I eat sunflower seeds all day and this helps a lot too. It also helps you from feeling like you don't want another sip of water for the rest of your life too. When you're drinking over a gallon of water in a day, you get to a point at the end of the day after your out of the heat and you just don't want anymore water. But if you chew seeds all day, you don't have that problem. I was really amazed at how much better I felt at the end of the day the first time I tried eating seeds all day.

DFW Area Landscaper
  7. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

:D Well here is what I do. It was 88 degrees today here in MA. All for the past 2 weeks it has been 66. I pushed all my customers back one day to beat the heat. I am very temerature sensitive if the temp went up slowly I would have been ok but a sudden spike like that is trouble for me. As far as staying kool. Well I've gotvery fair skin blonde hair and bright blue eyes. When i worked at a gas station when I was younger I got really hot. So before my shift I went to the local store and got a gallon of ice cold water and soaked my shirt in it for a few seconds and filled my hat with the cold water. beleive it or not it worked for me in 95 degree weather and standing on nothing but pavement. When I felt my self getting warm again I would just repeat the whole process.

8. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

if u take something cool to ur wrists it cools you instantly because your vains are so close to the skin and you feel great and cool in like 1 min just a lil cold water or ice
  9. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I wear a desert camo "boonie" hat. Nice wide brim all the way around. When it is really hot, I take a WHITE sports towel with me. I dip it in the ice chest. Put it on under the boonie hat and let it run down the back of my neck. It LOOKS STUPID, but I swear it keeps you a good 10 degrees cooler. I put the towel in the cooler while driving between jobs. That way it is icy cold when I take it out. REALLY DOES MAKE THE DIFFERENCE between working and having to quit do to the heat. ALSO, on days when it is FORECAST to have a HIGH TEMP of 88 or higher, we start an hour early (7am) and quit about 3pm, and we SKIP LUNCH. I don't know about you guys, but on really hot days, I don't feel like eating anyway. With this schedule we keep about the same work time, but get out of the heat a little earlier & before it hits the 4:30 peak!

10. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Hate to tell you meathead but tomorrow its going to be 90, and the day after its going to be 90 too.