1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealing with very low Quotes from competition

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Road Ruler, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Road Ruler

Road Ruler LawnSite Member

I am biding on a complex. I am aware of one bid that is ridiculously low. apparently they have made a professional presentation and have good references???

Is there anything one can do to win against this kind of company that appears to work for peanuts????:confused:
  2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Let em go. The buy that wins the "low price" war is the one that goes bankrupt first.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For one I don't put two cents in what customers tell me about the other guy, appears to me there's always some other company out there offering to do the work for like 10% what I was thinking, it's just as likely a ruse, or a bluff.

Submit your bid for whatever you were going to, don't let that stuff bother you, let the cards fall in place on their own and let the best man win, the name of the game is not 'I have to bid the lowest,' my attitude is my bid is what it is, take it or leave it.

On another note, I also find once a customer throws someone else's figures around, I'm as well off not even bothering.
    It's just unprofessional, it's low down dirty, not someone I'm so sure I want for a customer.
    As for presentations, give me a break, unless you have a manager who enjoys running around playing the dancing sales chicken.
    And back in the days of working for someone else I used to enjoy it, but as a business owner I don't play that 'meet with the association' crap, nor do I get myself into lengthy conferences over it...
    1-2 minutes, in and out, here's my bid, thanks!
    Better yet, mail or fax it in.

Because otherwise the whole thing reeks of someone who thinks of me as an employee.
  4. Road Ruler

Road Ruler LawnSite Member

Good info guys, thnxs.

I did see the actual bids.

One was for 1,600/m

the 2nd, 960/m

And the low one was 640/m

????? Mind boggling the range difference!
  5. skip1718

skip1718 LawnSite Member

let it go there are many other people that need quality service and a good price. you may want to call the company that you gave the bid to after the first quarter and see if they are happy with the service. many times my company has landed sizable accounts this way.
  6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

did you do the bid or let t go ????????? also how far off were you ??? what has happened to me is , they will say so-and -so will do it for this much and i tell them "sounds low you may want to check for license and ins. and reffs." i give them my bid and i'm on my way. a few times i have got the call and they o.k. the other guy didn't work out . then i get the work no problem..