1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deals from customers on Misc. Items

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duncan IN, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

I was wanting to hear some stories on getting equipment or misc. items from customs, items they said was broke or didn't want any more.

I got a RCA 32" TV from a customer, Her son said it got struck by lightening, It was a really sharp TV and it beat what I had at home. So I asked her if I could have it while she was getting ready to pitch it. She said sure, so I took it home pluged it in and the thing worked fine. can't beat that, A free 32" TV!

I have some customers that have stuff they don't want that they offered to sell to me or give it to me. Seems like in the mowing business you come across some good things and deals. My neighbor blows me away at all the stuff he gets cheap or free from his customers.

Just would like to hear some of your stories.

[Edited by Duncan IN on 11-26-2000 at 08:58 AM]
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I picked up a VCR that was at the curb on garbage day from one of my older customers. It is a Mitsubishi VCR and when I looked up the price it retails for 750.00. It didn't have the remote or the owners manual so when I feel like shelling out 100 bucks I can figure out how to work the thing. It plays videos real well but it seems that it has to be programmed from the remote.
  3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I garbage picked my Little wonder 5 horse push edger ! The only thing I did was replace a cracked spark plug. Privately owned and garage kept !
    I have also had customers unload old 21" mowers on me. Nothin worth it yet. But I have a friend that barters for garage space for storage. Not a bad deal.

4. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

One customer gave me a Stihl 028 saw, an Echo 2501 trimmer and a Toro 21" trim mower. Christmas in July!!!
  5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember being offered a lot of brand new garden tractors. Being that they are little use to me, I never took anyone up on the offer, however they were always brand new.

The same old story, the customer just buys a 750k house, buys a 5k tractor, mows for a month, then decides the hell with it and hires a service. Then, they have the tractor sit in the garage for 3 years, and want to just about give it away.

I have gotten some real nice tools though. One guy cleaned out his garage and gave me a truck load of misc. shovels, rakes, hand tools, etc. I still am using a lot of them til this day.

6. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

To this day i've recieved nothing but some extra tip money. I can deal with the cash hehe.
  7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

One customer gave us a Ryobi 4 cycle trimmer last year. I don't use it, but it was brand new. This year he gave us a Echo PB210e. I'll use that!

We have received several TVs and VCRs. I never turn them down, because they may never offer you anything again if you turn them down :)
  8. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

My Grandpa always said"you just never know what you need on the farm."
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 17 foot boat and 40 hp mercury motor on it that my wife bardered on a hedge job. I hate the water and am sick anytime I go near it. It will be in the tri-ad first thing in the Spring, should make a few $'s on it.
    We usually get asked more about finding people to do different jobs on their property, I can pick and chose the jobs I want. This week we are drywalling a house, next week will be something different.
  10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My mailman got a deal in the development next to mine. It seems that the husband and wife were getting a divorce. The wife sold their 1 year old John Deere tractor to the mailman for $100.