deals from the dealer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

When I purchased my first mower, trimer and blower, the dealer gave me a "deal". The mower was $7,999. Trimmer about $250, and blower around $450. He threw in some 2 cycle oil, filter, trimmer line, and a grease gun. All for $8,000. (this was in 2001) I know there is quite a markup on equipment, so this seemed like a great deal.
    I will be in the market for a new mower (52'' exmark lazer hp), trimmer (redmax bc225), and blower (redmax 7001) towards the end of this season, and would like to negotiate a good price. Do any of you ask your dealers for "packages" like that? At first they told me they don't do package deals, but once they saw that I was serious and about to pump a whole lotta money in there, they got a bit more lenient.

Just wondering what you guys expect out of your dealers, and what kind of price negotiations you work with them.

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you positive there is a huge mark-up on equipment..>Specifically mowers. I was always under the assumption that it wasnt a big markup...Only a couple hundred bucks. I got my 44 inch gravely, stihl br420, km85s, eater attachment, and edger attachment for $5900.

Dealers seem to be dicks....until they find out you are looking to buy soon, once you say that they open right up, and try and get you deals. Especially me being only 18 years old...I never am taken seriously when i go in to look at anything anywhere..Trucks/mowers/boats/jetskis...ANYTHING..They all asume i am just looking, when actually i might be buying..(mower )

Trevor

Trevor

3. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I used to have the same problem. My solution was to go in and look for what I wanted, then come back with my old man - the brother to 5 care salesmen, and master dealmaker. The stupid dealers would have done better to just deal with me, then treat me like crap and have to make a deal with my old man. I usually end up paying quite alot less than I planned. Now that Im older I get alot more respect and the dealers know me, and know I have money to spend so I deal with them now.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have time to haggle with my dealer. I've spent so much money in the last three years, he always gives me a fair price. I trust he will do the best he can. I honestly don't even ask how much most things are. Half the time my employees pick up what we need, new blowers, trimmers, etc.. I do check the invoices with my monthly statement and everything always seems fine. I trust him like my customers trust me. If I get burned, he'll have to deal with me then. The only way you are going to be able to really haggle is to do price comparison shopping. Dealer to dealer. Well, when you do that, you might as well kiss any loyalty or preferential treatment goodbye. Which I don't blame them. It's hard, but you need to try and build an honest relationship.