Dear John Letter for Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Feb 4, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I need to let 6 customers go, to make room for one big one. I want to send them a nice letter. I was thinking somewhere along the line of,
    " I appreciate your business over the years, but I regret to inform you I will no longer be able to provide lawn services for you".

Please feel free to add something to this that might soften the blow.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a referral to a local LCO? You may even be able to get a little cash for your effort.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i let two long timers go last season: dear, so and so, due to circumstances beyond our control, we will no longer be able to service your property. your business has been greatly apreciated. for your convenience we have provided the names of two services in your area that provide quality service at reasonable rates.

4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Arrange another LCO to do them,it still leaves you on good terms with them.If you just drop them their business and goodwill is gone forever.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, give them a couple of good, and I mean good referrals of other LCO's. It makes you look good if you supply them with another one that did as good of a job as you did.

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

In order to spend more time with my family I have opted to reduce the size of my lawn route.

I am informing you well in advance of the Spring Season to allow you adequate time to find similar service to meet your standards.

Thank you.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Thats the intent I had. I've tried to give them (the accounts) to 2 different LCO's. They've both said that their not interested. I've got one more fellow to ask.

8. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

sub contract it out so you would still get a little chunk of the money, so if you get bigger in the furture you could just take them back.
    its either that or jack there price up and see what happens:)

9. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

You just tell the truth... ("regret to inform you" is a cold style.)

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Jones,

I have a lot of gratitude for the business relationship we've shared over the years.

Recently I've had the good fortune of winning a large, substantial customer. The downside to this breakthrough is that I'm going to need to shed a group of smaller customers in order to service this large property.

I feel bad to tell you this, but your property is among this group that I have decided not to service this year. I'm informing you of this now so that you will have plenty of time to shop around for a new lawn service provider.

(....optional: you can add your lco recommendations here....)

Mr. & Mrs. Jones, thanks again.

Joe the lawnguy

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

JustALawnGuy,

Although I also feel that honesty is the best policy...

...if I were on the 'receiving end' of your suggested letter I would be upset...especially if I were a long-time, loyal customer.

The part that would bother me is:

"Recently I've had the good fortune of winning a large, substantial customer. The downside to this breakthrough is that I'm going to need to shed a group of smaller customers in order to service this large property.

Well, I'm happy for your "good fortune" but what you have just told me, in essense, is that someone else is more important than me, that my business equals 'small peanuts' to you, and that having me as a loyal customer was considered is now considered a drawback as far as your business is concerned. I feel as if I've been thrown to the wolves for a better customer. Now that someone 'better' has come along I'm not good enough for you.

Being ditched for a "large substantial customer" surely means you must feel that I was a "small, insignificant customer"...or else you wouldn't be canning me.

I would remember this if your "Big Deal" fell through...and you came back to me in need of a customer.

Althought I definately would let my customer know that I really appreciated their business I would keep reason for dumping them on an impersonal level...such as 'circumstances beyond our control', 'reduction of workload', 'change in business strategy', ...something besides "I'm moving on up so now I gotta ditch my small-timers".

Just a different perspective to consider.