1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"dear steven"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 25, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

steve owns a large landscape company, and nursery. very reputable. steve showed me a letter that he recieved YESTERDAY (4/24), for a december leaf cleaning invoice, that was sent out december 28th. this is the letter: "dear steven, we recieved your invoice for $250 for december leaf cleaning. we feel that for the time you spent, this was entirely too much money to charge us. we deducted $100 from the bill, enclosed is a check for $150. sincerely, mrs jones." my advice was to call the police right now. his agreements with his clients on leaf cleaning service are, "we charge accordingly based on the workload at your property." please advise steve
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Steve should use whatever legal means are required to get his money. I personally would tack it onto thier credit record at www.olddebts.com and have the fine people at Old Debts send them letters and make collection phone calls. Make sure Steve adds the collection fees to the bill.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Steve be happy with what you got since you waited 4 months before recieving anything
  4. bobbygedd

from NJ

mac, i agree, that was his first mistake.
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

carbage in, carbage out...

A soft clean-up charging policy resulted in a soft payment.
  6. bobbygedd

from NJ

highgrass, how would you have handled it?

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

TAKE IT LIKE A MAN lol LOL lol
  8. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Looking at the situation from the home owners point of view, I wouldn't have hired Steve if he couldn't give me a price beforehand.
  9. bobbygedd

from NJ

how can you possibly quote an accurate price, on leaf cleanup, when you're quoting the job, in april? furthermore, how can u give them, a reasonable price for the fall season, when it's october, and u have no clue, which way the wind is gonna blow? screw that, i aint no slave. i agree with steves estimate of "accordingly". i don't, agree with the fact that he let them roll 5 months
  10. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

1)Dont you think its kind of Steves fault then for even quoting the job and not knowing how many leafs will fall or how the yard is going to look months later?

2) Why did it take 4 months for them to pay?

3)Did he also quote how long the job would take to the customer and if so did it take as long as expected?