dear trugreen customer....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Jul 11, 2011.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I'm in a city where apps are not a huge business. There is no person who solely does apps as there job. Usually its in addition to mowing. We are not required to leave signs, but I do as a marketing tool and to let the customer know I was there. Trugreen is the other company that leaves signs.

As I was riding I noticed a few trugreen signs in lawns. I thought to myself why not send a letter to that person saying I do apps to. Maybe something like.... "I saw the trugreen sign and in the past few days they have done an application. Are you happy? Do you see any weeds dieing? ......" then go into a part about my company, website, etc.

The post office has already called about me putting letters in current customers mailboxes. So I figured I would have to mail them the letter or knock on the door(I usually don't have time to do that at the time of the sign sighting).

What are your thoughts on this idea? You would be targeting a customer who wants apps.

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

gmw:

If "I" were going to do this, I wouldn't mention the other company. I'd just try to sell myself/my services. If they're having issues with their current squirt/fert. company, it'll come out.

I asked a question a few weeks ago about "what sets you apart" from the TG/Scott's type companies. There's some good stuff in there.

3. AuburnHort2005

AuburnHort2005 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

What's up Patrick? I thought about doing the same thing too. I saw a trugreen truck at a HUGE apartment complex one day and thought about going in there and talking to them.

4. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Like I said fert/squirt is not a huge business here and trugreen has the "name" and might be the only company they know of. I seen mailers and have signs on my truck. Seems all the customers I've gotten who switch from trugreen are really happy with what I do and how green and weed free their lawn is.

All I was saying was that a letter to this person asking if they were happy with the current provider would put your name into a household who defienently wanted the services you offer. And sending it after they had done an application may get the homeowner thinking and looking at the results of the app.

5. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Hey Buddy. My thought was that you would be getting your name and company into a household who wanted services like ours.

6. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I think you misunderstood me. I think the letter is a great idea.

I just wouldn't mention the other company. I'd sell mine.

Good luck!

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you not realize that this is what TruGreen is already doing to YOUR customers?!

8. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

If anyone has any insight into Trugreen's marketing practices I would love to hear it. I always laugh when I see a "lawn" that needs a complete overhaul and is full of weeds with one of their nice little app signs sticking out of the ground.

I guess they get them locked in somehow with a contract they can't get out of. I literally would guess that no fewer than 90% of the "lawns" I see with those signs fall into this category, and that is not an exaggeration.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

You dont know their marketing practices? They go door to door in my subdivision every year..... They talk to all of your customers and tell them what you are doing wrong.

10. Precedence

Precedence LawnSite Member

Trugreen owns Greenlawn in Canada and i know exactly how they market, up here they do massive amounts of telemarketing, they'll constantly harass there current customers to get up-sells (Aerations, Grub Control, Alfalafa, Ect...) and they buy city directories in the spring and call everyone on the list for free estimates. The estimates used to be hand delivered but they started to do block pricing based off of the average of previous estimates and estimating over the phone. At each application the crew delivers coupon for referrals, a handout (postcard size) explaining the FAB for the next service the telemarketers will be up-selling, and a newsletter for the particular time of year containing useful tips and articles carefully designed to help the up-sells again.

Trugreen runs a very slick (and sleazy) marketing campaign, i was a manager there.