Death And Termination

Discussion in 'Employment' started by NHLawncare, May 2, 2006.

1. NHLawncare

NHLawncare LawnSite Member

GREAT TITLE HUH?
    LET ME EXPLAIN, I WORKED FOR A LANDSCAPE CONTRACTOR WHO HIRED ME AS HIS OPERATIONS MANAGER.
    MY MOTHER-IN-LAW PASSED AWAY ON A MONDAY AFTERNOON, COMPANY WAS NOTIFIED VIA OWNERS CELLPHONE THAT I WASN'TGOINGTO BE ABLE TO WORK FOR A FEW DAYS. OWNER SAID "FAMILY FIRST". ON TUESDAY PM A TOW TRUCK SHOWED UP AND TOOK AWAY MY COMAPNY VEHICLE. i CALLED TO OWNER AND ASKED FOR AN EXPLANATION AND HE SAID "YOU DIDNT COME TO WORK TODAY AND I HAVEN;T BEEN ABLE TO REACH YOU ALL DAY. I AGAIN EXPLAINED AND REFRESHED HIS MEMORY FROM OUR CONVERSATION THE PREVIOUS NIGHT. HIS RESPONSE "MAKE A CHOICE WORK OR FUNERAL"

WHAT RECOURSE DO I HAVE IN MASSSACHUSETTS

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
    MIKE

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him to F off. Family IS #1 I don't care what the profession or amount of money. I have instilled this in my children since day one and is a shame not more feel this way.

There are other jobs. And you could certainly cause him some severe inconveinence by taking him to court but that would ultimately take you to his level and I don't think you want that.

I am sorry to hear of you and your wifes loss. But this just may be the kick in the ass to get you out on your own...

3. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Where in NH are you? Just come work for me;)

4. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

Piss him off and try to file for unemployment. :)

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Look into the federal family medical leave act. It might not apply depending on how many employees.
    Do you really want to work for a guy like that? :dizzy:

6. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, you work for quite the large company if your email is correct, something like the 3rd biggest construction company in NH...Doesn't seem fair that this happened.
    James