1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Death of an Hour meter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Barkleymut, Feb 17, 2001.

1. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

On my 3 mowers I have hour meters. On my 2 Walkbehinds I have Sendec (I think thats the name). On my Chopper I have a Tiny Tach. Here's the problem. The 2 Sendec's both died within a year. The Tiny Tach lasted about 18 months. Now all 3 are dead. I have these mowers on the open trailer when it rains sometimes. Is it just some water getting in the electronics? Any solutions so I don't have to buy $120 worth of hour meters every 6 months?
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I have the same problem,my meters just dont hold up to the vibration.My Toro's have original meters at 3700,3000,and 200 hrs,but all the rest of my equipment has a broken meter.If its old i just service it by the looks of the oil,air filter and blades.If its front line then i buy a sendec for it,and mount it away from heat and vibration as best i can.All my stuff stays inside,so its not the water.
  3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I will add some weatherstripping between the meter and the mounting area to reduce the vibrations. Any other ideas?
  4. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

We sharpen blades weekly, grease every two weeks and oil once a month. But my mowers only run three days a week(total aprox) average hrs as follows 60"- 12 hrs, 48" 8 hrs, 32" 8 hrs, roughly. The rest of the week we do other work. I don't use the meters for the maintenance though, I do it when I feel it needs it, and when I have time. I know it gets done much more frequently than manual states.
    If meters are broken, I wouldn't bother fixing them just write in a book the date you serviced them, and come up with a regular service intreval. If you keep track of the hours for a couple weeks you should be able to do this with no problem.