death?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toy2, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay some of you folks know a good customer passed away a week ago........here is the question: he always wanted his yard mowed on a Monday......I did not mow it today, when I talked to his daughter in law last week she said "we want you to continue to mow, but I will let his son call you" they live in San Antonio??? Do I call his house and see who answers? Then what? Tell them the lawn guy still wants to mow your yard? My wife tells me to let them call me?? So I guess I wait?? Thanks. :dizzy:

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I would wait and let them call you. Dont want to look like a hungry shark right after their father passed away. Maybe send them a card expressing their your sorrow, would really be a nice thing to do and keep you on their minds also.

3. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I would send them a condolences card and that's about it.

You don't want to be the guy calling about money or work they owe you when they are grieving. I know that's not what you would be doing, but it is how it would probably come across.

I know a lot of people are opposed to this and generally, I am, but I might do it for free a couple of times (a couple of weeks apart) and leave a note letting them know that I knew that they had a lot to deal with, so I took care of the lawn for them this month and please give me a call if they need anything.

4. Rob's landscaping

Rob's landscaping LawnSite Member

When that happens to me I go to the wake. I see the customer family. Then they say who are you? I say the landscaper then they tell me what to do cut it when?

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Send a card of condolence and send a separate letter stating that the daughter spoke with you concerning lawn care..............

If you so chose I would be happy to continue service on the property. Please contact me at your convenience............. or something to that effect.

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I once picked up 5 new customers at a wake. I didn't even bring any business cards, I thought it was inappropriate. One client recognised me and introduced me to 5 people all who like his yard and they wanted service to.. I told them to look me up in the phone bood and call me in the morning.....end result, 5 new clients.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

whenever one of my older clients gets sick, i send one of my wifes real estate cards to thier kids

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Cut the grass as usual. Mail or leave the bill at the house for this month. If you do not receive a call or payment within one week.. stop service.

That's the professional way of doing business.

If you have some reservations about stopping service because of loyalty to the customer or because he was a friend, look at it this way...your customer/friend is no longer around and the new customer needs to contact you.

9. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

The card went out last Wednesday, couldn't make the service.....I might do it for free as stated above, its not really a big yard...its 10 miles away....thanks for the info, it does come in handy!!! :)

10. MJhnson Lawn

MJhnson Lawn LawnSite Member

I would wait and let them call you. I had a similar situation this year and I
    left a flyer, with a short message for them to call me if they wanted to continue
    service.