Debating mini-x...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrusk, Apr 21, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Well since the ink is signed on the 246b i been thinking. I know i am still going to rent a mini to dig retainign wall footers. 2 weeks ago my sales man told me they had a bunch of 2005 left over 302.5's with full cab and ac/heat for 36k and change. That seems like a good deal. What do you guys think?

Matt

2. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

Look for something out of their rental fleet. We bought a 303 in Dec.- '05 with 150 hours, full cab, heat, no ac, long stick, 20" bucket for 32k

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The machine your looking at is a little small you may want to get something a little larger something in the 8000lb range or a little heavier.

4. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

I think a mini excavator is priceless...but like GR said, that may be a bit under sized. I fyou think it is enough machine, though, I say "Go for it!"

Looks like you have the equipment bug....it can be a VERY expensive sickness....

5. mrusk

Pawnshop- The equipment bug is alot cheaper than hiring employees!!! I plan to work solo untill i am mechanicalized to the hilt! One i get a mini x i am going to go dump a pile of money on a big compactor so i don't have to do lifts anymore!

302.5 is proabably alittle small. I proably should go with a 303. Right now i rent a kubota k41 when i need a min x, since alot of times its the only machine available and sometimes i don't have alot of room.

Matt

6. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

I've had my 302.5 for 4 years now and for what it sounds like you'll be doing I can't imagine why you'd need anything bigger. Bigger machine=bigger trailer=bigger cost. Its a slippery slope.

7. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

Furthermore, FWIW if I could do it over again, I would rent a machine for the season and take advantage of the write-off and a new machine every season. Not sure the length of your season but payments suck when its sitting there in the winter depreciating.

8. mrusk

All i would be using the machine for is digging out for walls and paver jobs. I am not interested in doing 'outside' work with the machine. I'm in the hardscaping business. I'm not going to branch out into other things and lose focus on my main business.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would go to Iron Planet and check out those they auction off. They are primarily CAT rental machines and they go cheap compared to new price. Considering how bad of a hit those machines take on depreciation, I would not consider a brand new machine. You can get near new and save money. The warranty period is so short it makes that a nonissue at least to me. Certainly not worth paying new price for.

10. ma5tr

ma5tr LawnSite Member
    from toronto

I bought a 302.5c last year and at first I thought it would be too small. So far it has far exceeded my expectations. For what I do in my field as a landscaper (i dont dig foundations) it is a GREAT size, gets me in tight spots and lifts way more than i would ever believe if i didnt see with my own eyes(it lifts stone 2.5'x4' x 16" on a regular basis). I didnt want to go with a zts on a machine that small because i knew it would not be able to lift as much. I demoed a 303cr before the purchase and found it to be "tippy".

Any machine that you buy will have those moments when it is going to be "To small" even if it is a 345, you just have to see and know what the majority of the work you will be doing is and buy a machine to suit. Dont let people that dont know your business tell you its to big or to small. know where you are and where you want to be and buy a machine accordingly.