debris burning??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by baddboygeorge, Jan 28, 2006.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i am in the first phases of building a park. this phase is to remove underbrush an unwanted trees on about 30 acres now. i have got alot of this phase done except for burning off about 10 piles of brush. these piles on average 10-12 feet high by 30 long by 15 wide. all this is fresh green wood products an its giving me problems burning . this stuff wont stay lit . i have used diesel upon diesel an to no avail . this stuff is hard to get to blaze.does anyone have any experience in burning large piles an how do you get this stuff to burn . please any suggestions would be great. just so you all no i do have a burn permit from the fire marshall an its ok to burn. please help me!!!! do they make any special chemicals that burn hotter . what do i need to do please please please if anyone can help thanks

2. LandscapePro

LandscapePro LawnSite Member

George,

You are dousing it with diesel and waiting a few days prior to lighting aren't you?

A sure way to do it is get a dozer and cut a trench. Push the piles into the trench. Get in touch with the DOT and borrow a blower. Light and watch 'em go away to ash.

Mike
    La. Landscape Contractor #2576

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Gee probably won't burn tell it's dry enough.

4. Jdmtnbikr

Jdmtnbikr LawnSite Member

"call us if you need it done RIGHT not RITE" I am assuming you have that tag under your name for a reason, to sell, no? Good luck to you.

5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i know how to burn a brush pile but never had a problem using diesel until now i think i am gonna have to do the old tire trick !! there has to be a chemical made for fires besides diesel or gas

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

hide a few old tires under the piles and when you add the tires pour the fuel in side the tire. what ever you do make sure no one is looking when you do this or the epa man will eat you alive. i would do this early in the morning ie 5 am or just after dark so that the people will not see the black smoke

and after you set the fire and when it gets going hot enough get you blower and feed it all the air you can with out blowing it out this will get it so hot you can't stand it

also when piling brush up like this there is one very important rule KEEP IT CLEAN that means no mud and no dirt . dirt doesn't burn

7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

also when clearing brush like this cut every thing in to 4-6 lengths and cut apart all the branches so that the lay down the big air spaces make it hard for the fire to spread

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You would have to be a real jerk to purposly burn tires.

9. bigandy

bigandy LawnSite Member

Those blowers work really well, they create a fire like a incinerator, you can also use this same idea to burn stumps out of the ground, but with a more concentrated air flow

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Burning tires wouldn't be a good plan, although loggers did that for years burning slash piles and stumps. The difference is that the loggers were way up where nobody could strangle them for doing so, I'd be careful with the tires idea.